Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help! Can't get comps connected to home network!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-27-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having problems getting my network to work. I can connect to the internet on both computers, but I cannot connect both the computers to each other. What am I doing wrong? All I did was adjust the connect the two computers physically to the SMC 7004ABR router and then disable the HTTP proxy. After that, both the computers are connected to the internet, but not the home network. Can someone help?
Old 09-27-01, 10:15 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

is file sharing turned on? are both running same protocol for file sharing? both have a folder shared?

--HN
Old 09-27-01, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HN
is file sharing turned on? are both running same protocol for file sharing? both have a folder shared?

--HN
I'm not sure of the answers to any of these questions. I have Win2k on one comp and WinMe on the other. They don't have the same networking setup.
Old 09-28-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course, you know you can call SMC tech support, right? They'll help you with this.

I don't know how to do this on WinMe... but here's the 2K directions.

Open Control Panel, then select Network and Dial Up connections.
Click Local Area Network, properties.

Make sure in the box that says "Components checked are used by this connection" that there is "Client for Microsoft Networks", "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks", and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and that they are all checked.

If so, then you have to select each drive, printer, etc for sharing purposes, and share them. Right click on anything you want to share and select "sharing".
Old 09-28-01, 07:44 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally found what i was looking for. here's a link (from anandtech faqs) dealing with your setup http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=59

--HN