Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

My buddies PC doesn't have a floppy...need help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-27-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 6 months ago, my friend bought a P.O.S. Gateway PC. He says all was 'fine' until he signed up for DSL. He had to get an Ethernet card. I told him how to install it, but the problem is he doesn't have a floppy drive to load the drivers. I put the floppy onto a CD, and he also tried to DL the driver off the net, but his PC freezes upon install. Then I told him to go out & get a floppy drive, but there isn't a power supply plug or ribbon for it. So now I'm telling him to call Gateway to raise Hell, but he says they probably won't do anything about it since, when he bought it, they told him he wouldn't need a floppy drive, so he agreed to get a PC without one.

Any suggestions???
Old 09-27-01, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can get a splitter for the power supply cables and you can also get another ribbon to connect to the floppy drive (although I think it's different than the one used for HD's and CD-ROM's) - it's been quite a while since I've messed around with my floppy.

P.S. - What kind of crappy-company doesn't put a floppy in??
Old 09-27-01, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HP is also bad about this. last semester, our school bought about 70-80 new HP vectras. not a single one of them had a floppy drive -- our school had to special order USB floppy drives and only then the campus had about 10 floppy drives. sucked big time.
Old 09-27-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Blake

P.S. - What kind of crappy-company doesn't put a floppy in??
Gateway, that's all I know. I told him not to go there in the first place. As a matter of fact, he almost spent as much on his crap as I did to build my own, and mine kicks ass(IMO). I offered to build one for him too, at no charge(of course)...all he had to do was buy the parts.

By the way, he's runnin' WinME.
Old 09-27-01, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000

Gateway, that's all I know. I told him not to go there in the first place. As a matter of fact, he almost spent as much on his crap as I did to build my own, and mine kicks ass(IMO). I offered to build one for him too, at no charge(of course)...all he had to do was buy the parts.

By the way, he's runnin' WinME.
Where are you getting your compenents at? In past when I did the comparasion it was usually more expensive to build your own.
Old 09-28-01, 07:21 AM

I don't know wether to laugh or sympathize...maybe both.

I work Gateway tech support dude. hmmm...6 months ago and no floppy.... it's a 500 or a 667 LCPC (Low Cost PC). One huge power button in the front and a single Samsung CDrom drive...you also forgot it's USB only i believe too...i could be wrong but i don't think theres any ps/2 ports either. Won't do much good to raise hell, heck chances are he's out of software warranty too. cause it's standard is 90 days, unless he upgraded. All Gateway can sugest is purchasing a USB floppy that the system can boot too.

Your trying the right things...like copying the drivers to cd this also lets me know the NIC wasn't from Gateway as the drivers would have been shipped on CD to begin with.

If the system is locking up on restart from installing the NIC drivers chances are the system probably should be reloaded because by default Gateway throws on so much other stuff on it that the resources are probably seriously low to begin with. But then Good Luck with the system restoration cd's as the OS is an image on them...you can't copy cabs and install if I remember correctly. It's a one way ticket to "recover."

If the system locks up because of the NIC...well that's obvious.

So really...when does it lock up?

P.S. The aparent vision behind these pc's is that it provided and tapped into a market of people who could not otherwise afford a computer. And provide a somewhat decent conglomeration of components.

P.S.S I hate these machines, I hate supporting them except for the fact that the majority of folks who call in have expired warranties and they will have to upgrade or get to talk to fee based tech support. Keeps my call time down.

Just to let you and your friend and everyone else know, the majority of the Gateway Tech Support community doesn't like these machines. We all think they are crap and should have never been sold. But obviously there are those exec folks who would rather make money then create a decent product to uphold a good name.

I'm sorry dude. You seem to have things in hand though.
I mean no disrespect on anyones part. I disagree providing POS computers to newbies. Nothing like first impressions right?

Keep comin with the info about it dvdsteve2000. I'll do what I can for ya.
-SS

Last edited by TheSilverSurfer; 09-28-01 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-28-01, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by Shay

Where are you getting your compenents at? In past when I did the comparasion it was usually more expensive to build your own.
I'd have to agree...

When I built my p4 it ran me basically $1200 (at the time the p4's just came out) for the MBD, Processor (1.3), 256 (RDRAM), Vid (GeFORCE 2 Ultra), Heatsink & Fan. Obviously a good portion was theat damn expensive RDRAM. I even Bought all through Pricewatch.com and got them cheap compared to elsewhere. Where and what prand names do you shop?

First one i ever built too...I'd definetly do things diferent if I had the chance, but man he runs fantastic...
Old 09-28-01, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I built my PC, components were alot more expensive than they are now. I was also curious to see if I could do it, and I wanted to learn as much about computers from the inside out, so it WAS a great learning experience that has helped me, as well as some friends with PC problems. The bonus is, you get exactly what you want. It's really hard to find that in an OEM. I figured out the price for building my own beforehand, and it was about the same as lesser 'complete' machines. I've been thinking about building another one in January since everything is so damn cheap right now.

Back to the Gateway-

I don't think the system should be 'reloaded'. I told him to cut down his start-up menu, he de-frags once a week, and cleans out temp files often. Could it still need reloaded?? When trying to install the drivers is when it freezes up, or it'll do nothing(cont/alt/del says not responding), and you have to shut down. And oh yeah, I think it IS only USB (after talking to him today)...so an internal floppy drive is impossible, right????

I agree with you on Gateway hits the peeps that can't afford a 'better' PC, which is exactly what happened in this case.
Old 09-29-01, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check and see if there is a floppy drive connector on the mobo - it's a ribbon connector a little wider than the IDE cable that runs to the CD-ROM/hard drive. If one is present, pick up a floppy and a "Y" spitter for a power connector if you wish to add a floppy to the system. (I can see them trying to save a few bucks by not putting a floppy drive in the system, but I strongly suspect the mobo will have a connector for it - I don't think I've ever seen a board without one)

Alternatively, if you have another machine you can temporarily canibalize a floppy drive from to borrow, just disconnect the CD for a little bit and run what you need to run off of the floppy.

That said, if the program wouldn't install off of the CD or downloaded file, I doubt running it off of floppy will make a damn bit of difference...
Old 09-30-01, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Generally the reason most custom built stuff is more expensive is that most people use a higher grade of component when doing it.

If you use an el-cheapo PC Chips MB, etc. you can build one for next to nothing. A friend of mine wanted to know what I could build him a "really good" PC to surf the net with for, but he wanted it cheap (don't they all). By looking around a bit I was able to price out a Duron 900 system, 256MB RAM, 20 GB HD, etc. for around $400 for the entire system (sans monitor). That's pretty damn cheap and not even using an el cheapo PC Chips MB (I despise them and prefer to never use them). If I really trimed it down we could have probably done it for about $300-$350.
Old 09-30-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My point exactly (as above). You get what you pay for. I have an ASUS MoBo, a P3-933, 40GB HD, 16/10/40 CDRW(cutting edge at the time), 16x DVD, 5.1 Sound, 64 MB video card, 56x CD-ROM, 10/100 & 56k cards, corless/optical trackball mouse, wireless keyboard, and a 17" flatscreen. I have 7 (yes 7) USB posts, just in case I need 'em. I don't think I could've found a PC with those specs 10 months ago, and if I could've, the price would've been astronomical.