Reload this Page >

Computer problem - help me...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-27-01, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a PC tech and I have the magic touch with everyone's computer but my own. Mine is always screwed up in one way or another.... here's my spec:

Biostar M7VKB Motherboard
AMD Athlon Thunderbird 800Mhz @ 800Mhz
256MB Kingston PC133 Ram
(also tried 128MB generic PC133 Ram)
MSI GeForce 2 Pro 64MB DDR AGP
(also tried ATI Radeon 32MB DDR)
(also used to have a Hollywood Plus DVD decoder)
Onboard Sound
Deer 400W power supply
13GB IBM Deskstar HD @7200
18GB Western Digital HD @7200
Pioneer 12X DVD Rom
Plextor 8/4/32a CD-RW
Hitachi 19" Monitor
Win98SE - Fresh Install on IBM drive (Fdisk, Fdisk /mbr, Format)

My problem is that whenever I go to play a 3D game, the game will crash and I'll have to restart. Upon doing so, scanregw will alert me that windows has to shut down to repair the registry. Sometimes clicking ok will bring me back ok, but more often, clicking ok just makes it worse - so I shut it down and wait for awhile and try again. Eventually, I'm able to get back into windows in a stable environment.

I've tried all kinds of drivers from supported to generic to leaked betas and nothing seems to help. New video card didn't work. New Ram didn't work. Pulling cards didn't do any good either. I've pretty much run out of options. I'm thinking it's the motherboard, but it seems to work fine when I'm just in 2D apps. Just the 3D apps cause me problems. I've tried changing mobo settings and the result is always the same regardless.

Any ideas? I don't want to buy another motherboard so I hope it's not that. What else could I be missing - ever heard of this problem before?

I checked out Microsoft's website and they said the scanreg error message I was getting usually indicated bad ram, but that can't be since I have new ram in there and the other stick I replaced is working great in another machine.

If you can think about it and figure it out - I'll be out of town until next week, so please post some thoughts here so I can read them when I get back.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-01, 04:19 AM

So...even if you reload the machine do you still get registry problems??? Have you tried a reload? Are all drivers recent and Directx 8.0a??

Just some thoughts?
Old 09-27-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This one I wouldn't even know where to start usually I have an idea just someone beats me to it, but here no clue. I do have a ? though why have all that, and then onboard audio especially if you play games?
Old 09-27-01, 11:19 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Trigger, did you try the VIA 4-in-1 drivers?

--HN
Old 09-27-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what ram speed settings are you running in the bios?? slow them down. I might try good ram instead of kingston or generic ram both of which are not that good. some crucial maybe.

How is your cooling? how many case fans?

what are your temperatures from motherboard monitor?
maybe you are just running too hot and when you go into a 3d game it crashes due to heat.
Old 09-27-01, 05:26 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it's not your ram, it could be something with your video card and it's drivers. As was mentioned above, get the latest 4-in-1 drivers from VIA, as well as the latest Detonator drivers from nVidia and see if that helps.

Also, try isolating different parts of your system one at a time and see if taking a particular part out keeps the computer from crashing so often.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
So...even if you reload the machine do you still get registry problems??? Have you tried a reload? Are all drivers recent and Directx 8.0a??

Just some thoughts?
"reload"? Anyway - I've done a clean install from fdisk to format to installing windows and the drivers etc... Yes - DirectX 8.0a
Old 10-02-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
This one I wouldn't even know where to start usually I have an idea just someone beats me to it, but here no clue. I do have a ? though why have all that, and then onboard audio especially if you play games?
I have onboard audio because I don't give a crap... I play with headphones mostly and anyway - I have tried onboard sound vs. my Soundblaster Awe 64 (which sucks compared to Live!, but oh well) and can't tell the difference. Why? Is that what's causing my system to crash? If not, then I don't care which soundcard I use in this machine. I have tried disabling the onboard sound so I know that's not the cause.

My next system is going to have a Live! Platinum with Klipsch 5.1's
Old 10-02-01, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by HN
Trigger, did you try the VIA 4-in-1 drivers?

--HN
I'll certainly look into this, but I'm pretty sure my mobo came with a 4 in 1 driver disk that I used.

Originally posted by gcribbs
what ram speed settings are you running in the bios?? slow them down. I might try good ram instead of kingston or generic ram both of which are not that good. some crucial maybe.

How is your cooling? how many case fans?

what are your temperatures from motherboard monitor?
maybe you are just running too hot and when you go into a 3d game it crashes due to heat.
Good questions - I've tried slowing down the memory but the same results... Kingston is good ram... Crucial is better and I'll get that next time, but the ram isn't bad - I've tried it in other machines and had it tested and both sticks I have are tip top.

My mobo temp isn't the problem either - I've checked that and it's fine - I've even run it with the case open with a little room fan blowing right in there to keep it cool.

Originally posted by BT
If it's not your ram, it could be something with your video card and it's drivers. As was mentioned above, get the latest 4-in-1 drivers from VIA, as well as the latest Detonator drivers from nVidia and see if that helps.

Also, try isolating different parts of your system one at a time and see if taking a particular part out keeps the computer from crashing so often.

Good luck!
I've tried all the different drivers from nVidia - I've tried several different detonator drivers which made things worse than the drivers that came with the card. Plus - my Radeon card used to work fine and it works fine in another machine. This brand new GeForce does exactly the same thing, so I know it's not the video card.

I've isolated it down to the motherboard I think. I've pulled everything and I can't pull the mobo. Anyway - this one has me stumped cuz I don't know why my motherboard would cause such a problem.
Old 10-03-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

I have onboard audio because I don't give a crap... I play with headphones mostly and anyway - I have tried onboard sound vs. my Soundblaster Awe 64 (which sucks compared to Live!, but oh well) and can't tell the difference. Why? Is that what's causing my system to crash? If not, then I don't care which soundcard I use in this machine. I have tried disabling the onboard sound so I know that's not the cause.

My next system is going to have a Live! Platinum with Klipsch 5.1's

No it's not a big deal at all it's just unusual for most people to build a system like that, and not have a more advanced sound card, and still play games once in awhile. It doesn't matter I was just curious. And you are right the regular live card is garbage I can't wait to yank this thing for the Hercules card.
Old 10-04-01, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ok what about this.

try removing components that you do not need. pull dvd rom drive or cdrw. pull one of the hard drives. then try it with the case off and and fan blowing on it. this will reduce heat and power supply load. see if you can play the 3d games then. if it works then you might still have a heat problem that only shows up under stress of the cpu under heavy load. or it could be a power issue. 400 watt should be plenty however. but why not try it.

I assume you do not have the dvd decoder card in any more. if you do make sure to remove it for this test.

by the way what 3D games are you talking about. Just want to rule out bad games causing the problem
Old 10-06-01, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Counterstrike
Aliens vs. predator 2 demo
wolfenstein demo
half-life
max payne

everything I try... so I stopped trying.