Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me, I'm computer illiterate...(simple question)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-26-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my computer is now running with my start on the left side like in http://www.geocities.com/tydc6020/startonside.jpg . How do I get it down the bottom again like normal? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-01, 06:18 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Right-click on a spot just next to the Start button, but not on it. Hold down the mouse button and drag it to the middle bottom of the screen. Then let go of the button.
Old 09-26-01, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Click on the bar somewhere where there isn't a button or icon. Drag it down to the bottom of the screen and release. Done.
Old 09-26-01, 06:55 PM

You guys are awesome , thanks!
Old 09-26-01, 08:48 PM

X, why use the right mouse button, that doesnt work unless your keyboard is left handed

Anyway, this made me remember one call I got from some woman who knew just about nothing concerning her computer... I think she knew 4 things... that you could turn it on... that it had a tv like monitor, it had a mouse and a typewriter that works without paper.

So basically, she did like this gentleman here and dragged her tool bar to the right side of the screen. She explained the problem and immediatly, I knew what she meant so told her to press down the left mouse button on the gray where there is no window opened (this is 95 so no quickbar) and to drag it back to the bottom. So she answers that she doesn't understand. I proceed to explain it again telling her to simply go on the bar whre it is gray and to press down the left mouse button, leave it press, and pull the mouse near the bottom and that the bar would follow. Of course, it doesn't get any simpler. So she tries and says it doesn't work... so I explain a third time and she still says it doesn't works so she goes to get another guy to come on the phone to talk to me. I explain the thing to him (thinking that the woman was found frozen in the North and thawed out after being there around 5000 years) and to my very happy surprise, the guy also doesn't understand what I mean.... CRIPES, DRAG THE F***ING THING BACK!! is what I'm thinking but of course, I would get fired so I just said forget it, I'll send a technician down to do it...

Resolution to my problem : Dragged bar back to the bottom.

So the moral to this story is, tygloalex, you might think that you're computer illiterate, but let me tell you my friend, there are millions out there that make you look like you invented the computer

(I should point out, employees are given a cubicle, there is a computer, everything is in the startup, they get enough training to use 2-3 applications and not a bit more so at least half of our employees can't even shut off the pc if it crashes and call it in to have us walk them through)
Old 09-26-01, 08:53 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Feneant
X, why use the right mouse button, that doesnt work unless your keyboard is left handed
Cause I'm an idiot. Yeah, I meant the left button that I push with my right hand.
Old 07-06-02, 10:22 PM

Woohoo! All NEW computer illerate problem for everyone. I know have my shortcut bar (with the internet explorer quickstart button, the nero quickstart button, etc etc) separated from my what pages are you in bar? Do you like my definitions? Haha. How do I put them together again?
Old 07-07-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What pages bar???

Okay, see the lil bitsy vertical column on the bar??? Drag that with the left mouse button to group the quick launch icons.

edit: there should be two of those vertical columsn thing on each end of the quick launch icons.

Last edited by Ranger; 07-07-02 at 12:04 AM.