Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know how to crack that simple JavaScript Hash login code?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-26-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's client side, so it can't possibly be secure, but I forget how hash tables work.

You can go here to see the code I'm talking about :
http://hotlink4u.com/logincoderpas.html.htm

Its one of my friends sororities and she bet I couldn't get in the sisters only section.

Here's the important bit of code from the page:
option value='phisig|47822|TRUAKASH'phisig
Old 09-26-01, 03:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This belongs here.

I think you better leave it here this time.
Old 09-26-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
actually hashes are quite secure. really easy to hash the plain text into encrypted, but extremely hard to reverse it
Old 09-26-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks like you know the algorithm and the output of the hash function you need. Couldn't you write a fairly simple program to perform a brute force attack? If the password he needs is the same as the example site he linked for us where the password has to be 8 characters a-z, then it shouldn't take very long at all. Especially, if you started with a dictionary of 8 letter words.
Old 09-26-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That would certainly work, and thinking about it more, probably wouldn't take as long as I imagined.
Old 09-26-01, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I take that back. The hash index is based on the target html file as well. So you have an 8 character password and an 8 character html file. That's a lot of possibilities!
Old 09-27-01, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As to biasing your brute force attack, come now, do you think those girls are going to choose an easy to remember password (doesn't have to be written down on a slip of paper) such as 2%8#@(4A or will they choose a password like ASABASE69
Old 09-27-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Startide
As to biasing your brute force attack, come now, do you think those girls are going to choose an easy to remember password (doesn't have to be written down on a slip of paper) such as 2%8#@(4A or will they choose a password like ASABASE69
I guess that depends on how much credit you give the girls.

asabase, I didn't look at it too long, but why would you need to guess the filename also? My impression was that the target filename, though encrypted, was essentially hardcoded into the client side script.

If the only user input on the login screen required is the 8 letter password (a-z only, case nonspecific), then that should be all that you need to guess.

That's only 26^8 or 208 trillion combos. I haven't the faintest clue, but how many CPU cycles would it take to try 1 key?

1,000? That's 58 hours of 1 GHz CPU time to try every key, or 29 hours on average to find the correct key.

How motivated are you?
Old 09-27-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, asabase could run a script on several machines. Combinations starting with Z on PC#1 with letter Y the next one after all the Z's are done. On PC#2, combinations starting with A are processed with the letter B the next one up after all the A's are done.
Old 10-01-01, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I guess I only need to brute force the password since the script uses the encrypted filename, right? I doubt its going to be anything like we69foru, but will still be more than a simple word in a dictionary list so I'll still have to try just about everything.

I'm busy this week, but will try and get something set up this weekend. I have 16 Sun Enterprise450 processors at my disposal, so it shouldn't take too long once I get the code written.