Reload this Page >

yet another windows annoyance

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-25-01, 01:11 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I downloaded a few music playing softwares like MusicMatch, WinAmp, Windows Media Player, etc. Whenever each got downloaded, each tried to become the default player for the CD music.

Today, I inserted a CD into the CD drive, and the Windows Media Player started automatically and started playing the CD. I wanted the CD Player (the default player that came with Windows) to autoplay the CD, so I went to Tools -> Options and unchecked "CD Audio Track".

I then went to My Computer and double clicked on the CD drive. MusicMatch started automatically. I found that rather interesting. I went to Options -> Settings and unchecked "Music CDs".

I again went to My Computer and double clicked on the CD drive ... and I got a "The device is not ready" error. But if I right click and choose "Open" (the default is "Play"), I see the tracks. Then if I double click on an individual track, the CD Player opens up just fine and plays that track.

Under File Types, the CDA extension is associated with the CD Player.

How can I make the autoplay use the CD Player so that if I insert the CD (or if I double-click on the CD drive when a music CD is in it), it'll play the music using the CD Player?
Old 09-25-01, 01:27 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go into Explorer -> File Types, look for WAV as the extension and choose the player. cdplayer.exe is under \WINNT\system32.
Old 09-25-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may have to look for the File Types tab. In Win2k (no win9x on this box), it's under Tools, and then when you select Folder Options you'll be able to see the File Types tab. Look a bit and you'll find it.

When you find it, you'll get a big box full of file types. You'll actually be looking for one that says "Audio CD" or .CDA. Look for .wav as a last resort. You can edit from there. This is the hard way.

The easiest way is to put a CD in, then explore the CD in that drive. You'll find several .cda or .wav files. Hold down shift, then right click on the file. Somewhere in the drop down list you'll see "open with..". Click that. When it asks what you want to open it with, find the CD Player, and choose that -- but make sure the box marked "Always use this program to open these files" is checked.
Old 09-25-01, 02:17 AM
Stealth Moderator

X, did that. Still I get the error.

einTier, did you not read all of my post? The CDA file is already associated with the CD Player and it always opens with the CD Player. In my CD drive, if I click on any of the CDA files (CD music tracks), then the music plays fine. I only get erros when I double click on the CD drive from My Computers or when I insert the CD in the CD drive and the drive tries to autoplay.
Old 09-25-01, 03:27 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by namja
X, did that. Still I get the error.
Hmm, strange. I did it myself after telling you what to do. Winamp was the default player before. When I put in a CD it autoplayed with the Win2K player. I had to check what it was, I've never used it before, but that's what it was. I've installed SP2 if that matters.
Old 09-25-01, 03:39 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by X
Hmm, strange. I did it myself after telling you what to do. Winamp was the default player before. When I put in a CD it autoplayed with the Win2K player. I had to check what it was, I've never used it before, but that's what it was. I've installed SP2 if that matters.
I have SP2 installed too ...

Maybe I'll remove the CDA and WAV from File Types ... then I'll see what happens.
Old 09-27-01, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by einTier

When you find it, you'll get a big box full of file types. You'll actually be looking for one that says "Audio CD" or .CDA. Look for .wav as a last resort. You can edit from there. This is the hard way.
well good, we don't worry about cda's...but what about "audio cd" like eintier said?

it's listed as....
extension n/a
filetype AudioCD

click on it then click advanced then you get o edit the file type...all i want to know is....does it say play in actions??
if does click on play then edit....what program is doing this action??? if incorrect then change to cd player... if there is no play action then click new and add it...
the action should be play and you can browse to the cdplayer.

p.s. check this for the file type .cda too....it may be set to use that program but not automatically "play" as an action.

Just check it out.
Old 09-27-01, 12:52 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
it's listed as....
extension n/a
filetype AudioCD
Thanks a BUNCH! The file extention is really listed as "N/A" (I thought you meant that there was no extension listed or something) ... anyway, the cd works perfectly now.
Old 09-27-01, 03:53 PM

bill is in the mail
Old 09-27-01, 09:32 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by TheSilverSurfer
bill is in the mail
clinton?