Reload this Page >

How to stop virus prevention in Outlook

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-24-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this in my email, does this really work?
If you use either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, then here is a really effective way to prevent a virus from sending itself out to all recipients in your address book. We have had our computer technician verify the following, and he agreed that it works quite effectively. Please read the following carefully.

Virus Prevention

This tip won't prevent YOU from getting viruses (you have to scan those attachments yourself before opening them to do that), but it will stop those viruses from latching onto your address book and sending itself out to others.

To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a Contact in your e-mail Address Book with the name: !0000 with NO e-mail address. This contact will then show up as your first contact in your Address Book. If a virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your pc will put up an error message saying that "The message could not be sent. One or more recipients do not
have an e-mail address. Please check your Address Book and make sure all recipients have a valid e-mail address."

You click on OK and the offending (virus) message would not have been sent to anyone. Of course, no changes have been made to your original contacts list. The offending (virus) message may then be automatically stored in your "Drafts" or "Out box" folder. Go in there and delete the offending message. Problem is solved and virus is not spread. Try this and pass on to your e-mail contacts.
Old 09-24-01, 08:12 PM

Can't say as I understand a lot about how viruses work ( or computers for that matter) but this sounds like a great idea.
Old 09-24-01, 08:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess it could work. Did you get this from someone you know and trust? An e-mail about how to prevent a virus from affecting your e-mail brings up my caution flag.

How about adding it and trying a send all (initiated by yourself) on a harmless e-mail. Then you'll see if it works.

By the way, Microsoft has patches/upgrades to Outlook and Outlook Express to prevent a program from doing a send all. You might want to take that approach.
Old 09-24-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yup, that would work... if you have multiple addresses in a To: field and some don't work, you will normally get a prompt saying that the address is invalid, or in our system at work "The address is not known by the mail system" and then the message won't send.
Old 09-24-01, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes X I really trust this guy, he is very carefull about virus and hackers that he is giving me this idea.I dont have any virus with me but maybe you can test it out!I will ask him for more advice
Old 09-24-01, 11:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Kumar J
I dont have any virus with me but maybe you can test it out!
You have mail! [Just kidding]

Ok, I didn't know if it was a junk e-mail or what. But as I said, you can try it yourself, or get Microsoft's patches. Maybe their patches plus this method would be good.