Old 09-16-01, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SB Live + WinDVD 3.0 + DTS possible?

Here's the setup:

Windvd 3.0
soundblaster live! (not live! value) with the optical
windows 2000 pro
dtt 2500 digital 5.1

I can get dolby digital to passthrough via the spdif option in Windvd 3, but i cannot get dts to passthrough. I don't know if it's even possible. The dts signal is decoded before it even reaches the spdif-out, so it must be the speakers. Anyone know how I can output dts via spdif?
Old 09-16-01, 11:13 PM

Re: SB Live + WinDVD 3.0 + DTS possible?

Originally posted by milf
Here's the setup:

Windvd 3.0
soundblaster live! (not live! value) with the optical
windows 2000 pro
dtt 2500 digital 5.1

I can get dolby digital to passthrough via the spdif option in Windvd 3, but i cannot get dts to passthrough. I don't know if it's even possible. The dts signal is decoded before it even reaches the spdif-out, so it must be the speakers. Anyone know how I can output dts via spdif?
I also have WinDVD 3.0 DTS and the Cambridge DTT2500 Digital using a SB Live Vaule (with digital output). If I use DTS using spdif it doesn't work. I tried the 6 speaker mode (if I remember correctly) and then in a DVD I chose the DTS option. I could hear DTS but it was only stereo so on the DTT2500 receiver I chose the Dolby Prologic Digital In and I had sound in the back speakers (but it was "mono rear", obvious since I chose Digital Pro Logic ).

So I simply gave up and continued to use Dolby Digital 5.1... But if you discover how to do it, I'd like to know how
Old 09-17-01, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes it is possible, I use an SB LIve Platinum 5.1 and midiland S4 8200 speakers and DTS is awesome
Old 09-17-01, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Random
yes it is possible, I use an SB LIve Platinum 5.1 and midiland S4 8200 speakers and DTS is awesome
Is it noticeably better than Dolby Digital to you? I guess it really is my speakers.

Last edited by milf; 09-17-01 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-17-01, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah it is noticeably better, now I'm not saying Dolby Digital is bad ... just that I notice more with DTS on. The sound surprises me more often , how real and accurate it is.
Old 09-18-01, 12:04 AM

Cool

I was thinking of those Midilands, but I've had these forever, just thought I would try to get them working. I've yet to hear real DTS though, so I'm not sure $400 is worth the added quality.