Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need Help: Video from camcorder to laptop using firewire (Sony Equipment)....

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-07-01, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there was a kind person out there who could help me out. I recently purchased a Sony digital8 camcorder. I also have a Sony Vaio Notebook. Using the ilink connection, how do I get the video to play on my notebook? Is there specific software that I need to buy, or should my notebook already have the right software? Also, how do I capture a still picture from my video, and how do I make a vcd? By the way, my notebook is an f-series that's over a year old and has little disk space, so I know I won't be able to have long video clips. (~1gig of free space)

I appreciate the help.

Ms. Crab

Forgot to add: OS is Windows 98

Last edited by ms.crab; 09-07-01 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-07-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I may be wrong, but typically Vaio's that have firewire ports have a software available on them for digital video editing. Some editing programs allow you to dump it out as a VCD. If not you can dump it out as an mpeg or something similar and use a burning software to make a VCD.

1 gig of free space will not provide much. Some programs allow the option to do "preview quality" which would allow you more flexibility.
Old 09-07-01, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

have you tried vcdhelp.com ?
Old 09-07-01, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Where to start.....................

I am sure your PC came with some type of editing software. I know WIN ME comes with Moviemaker(I think its called). I bought my computer from DELL and got VideoWave 3 with it. Great easy tool for making movies...

Go buy VideoWave 4 it great for movie editing...
Go here for a forum on VW http://216.94.151.47/cgi-bin/ultimat...?ubb=forum&f=2

Let me be the first to tell youo 1GIG will not be enough memory to do anything with.... When capturing a 20 minute movie it will consume about 4GIG. This file can then be edited and then produced. (IN VideoWave)When you produce your movie you can select MPEG1, MPEG2 or DV. These files will also be on the order of 1-2 GIG. If you plan on making a VCD you will have to produce in MPEG1 or 2. Then you will need a CD burning software like NERO to burn the MPEG1 format into a VCD. Basic cd burnig software does not allow you to burn VCD's. Remember not all VCD's will play on DVD players. Check VCDhelp.com to see if your DVD player is compatible. VCD's will typically need to be burned on CD-RW's with silver layers.

I had to buy another 40Gig hard drive for my computer because my first drive of 40Gig was almost full. The trick is not to capture too much at one time because you will fill a 40 gig drive in no time.

With 1 gig you can probably capture about 3 minutes of your movie and the produce your 3 minute movie and fill up that 1gig if not more....
Old 09-07-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Although they run a little higher, a firewire hard drive may be in your future to allow for more editing room. You'd also need a firewire hub in order to have both devices hooked up simultaneously.

Nero is the best burning software and the one I would recommend. There are other options though, just FYI.