Reload this Page >

Need help installing a 2nd hard drive in my DELL

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-04-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a second hard drive for my DELLL 8100 and its in my computer and powered up but I don't know what to do next. My PC sees the hard drive as a secondary device but I don't know how to format it?(I guess I need to format it). What do I need to do now? Please give me step by step instructions.....
I have WIN ME.

Last edited by ANDREMIKE; 09-04-01 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-04-01, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
the bios sees it as a secondary drive?

then you need a dos bootdisk

boot up with it
run fdisk
switch to the second drive
display partition info to make sure nothing is there
create partition
reboot
boot back up with the bootdisk and then format d: (or whichever letter the drive is)
Old 09-04-01, 09:35 AM

Exactly what Twikoff said - although I'm not sure with WinME, I was able to do the same thing from the DOS prompt in Win98SE. Just be sure to select the SECONDARY drive when formatting/partitioning, or you will be wiping your C Drive. Good luck!
Old 09-04-01, 09:55 AM

when I go to the control panel and select ???I forget what I selected?? I am not at that computer right now but I did see it as a secondary drive. I can't believe there is not a easier way to do this. Oh well, I guess I will give what you say a shot.

can I do it from a DOS prompt in WIN ME?
Old 09-04-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually,
if you see the 2nd drive in your Windows Explorer, you can right click on it, and choose format.

Neitzl
Old 09-04-01, 12:46 PM

I don't see it in windows explorer..... probably because it has not been formatted yet. Its a brand new drive...
Old 09-04-01, 09:46 PM

PLEASE HELP!!!! HOW DO I INSTALL THIS HARD DRIVE? What media do I use to boot so I can format this drive?
Old 09-05-01, 12:40 AM

Do exactly what twikoff suggested. You need to create a partition on the new drive(whatever size and file system type you want) and then format it.
Old 09-05-01, 12:51 AM

Also looks like you made the same mistake I did and bought the Dimension 8100 Pentium 4...biggest mistake I ever made.

Have fun when you want to upgrade the memory.

The memory can only be installed in pairs(e.g. 256meg of ram is 2x128 meg RIMMS)

The RIMMS are big $$$. a 256 meg kit is $174 from Dell and $200 from Kingston and a 512meg kit(2x256 meg RIMMS) from Kingston is $386, Dell doesn't offer a 512 kit. Also Crucial does not carry this memory and has no plans too in the near future.

I hope you loaded it up when you bought it.

Also make sure what kind of memory they put in your machine. They put ECC ram in mine so if you are going to order memory from Dell make sure you call them and tell them what kind of memory you need because you don't know what you will get if you order through the web as there is only one choice. Same with Kingston but Kingston has a much better web-site for ordering. They have seperate part numbers for Non-ECC and ECC memory kits.

Last edited by palebluedot; 09-05-01 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-05-01, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk God

you dont have a bootdisk?

the standard win95 cdrom bootdisk is best.. throw any other bootdisk in the garbage, because that is the only one you will ever need..

but any bootdisk that has fdisk and format will work
Old 09-05-01, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by twikoff
you dont have a bootdisk?

the standard win95 cdrom bootdisk is best.. throw any other bootdisk in the garbage, because that is the only one you will ever need..

but any bootdisk that has fdisk and format will work

No the computer did not come with a bootdisk but I did read how I can make one from the control panel...... No one still has yet to tell me how to format the drive.... I guess when I create the bootdisk and put it in hopefully the options will be intuitive.... I will try it tonight.

What is the difference between ECC ram and NON ECC ram. I just returned the 2 64mB modules that I got with my computer and purchased 2 256mB modules for $50.00 more. The 256 mB modules were recommended by DELL and they work fine but they did not specify if they were ECC or NON ECC.

Why don't you like your DELL? Because you have to buy the memory in pairs? Last week DELL had some very good deals on memory so I was able to get a terrific deal.
Old 09-05-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk God

after you create the partition
and reboot with the boot disk again

youll get to the a: and type format d: (or whichever drive letter the new drive is)
Old 09-05-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

diff between ecc and non ecc

ecc is generally more expensive
ecc has error checking built in

but.. alot of people have problems with ecc memory
Old 09-05-01, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE

No the computer did not come with a bootdisk but I did read how I can make one from the control panel...... No one still has yet to tell me how to format the drive.... I guess when I create the bootdisk and put it in hopefully the options will be intuitive.... I will try it tonight.

What is the difference between ECC ram and NON ECC ram. I just returned the 2 64mB modules that I got with my computer and purchased 2 256mB modules for $50.00 more. The 256 mB modules were recommended by DELL and they work fine but they did not specify if they were ECC or NON ECC.

Why don't you like your DELL? Because you have to buy the memory in pairs? Last week DELL had some very good deals on memory so I was able to get a terrific deal.
ECC = Parity
Non-ECC = Non Parity

I used to love Dell but I will never buy another Dell product as long as I live due to some of the worst customer service I have ever received in my life. I wont go into details but it was an awful experience. They used to be such a great company with excellent customer service and support, that is no longer the case. I have found though that I should have bought my computer claiming I was a buisness because they respect their buisness customers much more than their regular consumers. A friend of mine bought a Dell recently for his buisness at home and every time he calls he gets very prompt and excellent customer service. When I call I wait on hold for at least an hour and I get Delbert Dumb F**K on the phone who knows less about computers than I do.
Old 09-05-01, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot

I used to love Dell but I will never buy another Dell product as long as I live due to some of the worst customer service I have ever received in my life. I wont go into details but it was an awful experience. They used to be such a great company with excellent customer service and support, that is no longer the case. I have found though that I should have bought my computer claiming I was a buisness because they respect their buisness customers much more than their regular consumers. A friend of mine bought a Dell recently for his buisness at home and every time he calls he gets very prompt and excellent customer service. When I call I wait on hold for at least an hour and I get Delbert Dumb F**K on the phone who knows less about computers than I do.
I agree with the service from Dell. I bought mine in January and purchased an extended 2yr in -home service warranty and still have not received my contract for this. When I called, they said they were backed up with the Christmas rush and I should receive it soon. Two months after the call and almost 10 months after my purchase, nothing.

I do love my computer (4100, Pent III, 933, 512MB...), but as far as service goes, they need to do MUCH better!
Old 09-05-01, 09:34 AM

Make a bootdisk from the control panel. Leave the floppy in the drive and reboot. Upon reboot, the machine will "boot" from a the floppy providing you with a DOS based manu system. From there, type FDISK, and a new menu will come up giving you options to format and partition your drive. Again, just be sure to select the NEW (slave) drive, or you will be wiping your current C: (master) drive!

As far as what palebluedot said in regards to Dell, I must disagree. I have had my Dell Dimension for three years now, and I have only had to contact their tech support line a handful of times (most times due to something I did), and the support staff was nothing short of helpful. Granted, at times the wait on the phone can he hell, but thats to be expected. I have also had the CD-Rom drive replaced, the speakers replaced and (most recently) my Mobo replaced - all covered by my warranty. Yes, the warranty period is almost expired, but in this time I have learned much about my computer and how to deal with it, so the only thing that will probably change once it runs out is that I will actually have to pay for a replacement part. My machine was extrememly upgradeable (I have done as much as I can to it up to this point) and I can honestly say I have gotten more bang for my buck with the purchase of this machine three years ago - and I would definitely buy from them again. Perhaps palebluedot had a bad experience- and I'm not doubting that - but I for one have nothing but high marks for Dell - and no, I don't work for them.

Also, I have had their third-party contractors come to work on my machine, and again it was a painless task - from my experience, they were extremely efficient as we as knowledgeable - this was only when they couldn't walk me through the problem over the phone, which most times they did.

Last edited by goatweed; 09-05-01 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-05-01, 09:35 AM

I would strongly agree that there customer service sucks! It's to bad... but I guess its because they have been so busy lately.. especially with back to school. I would also guess their CS is better then buying a computer from Best BUY

So does it matter what memory I use. I bought that 256mB module but it did not say if it was ECC or NON ECC.
Old 09-05-01, 09:42 AM

So does it matter what memory I use. I bought that 256mB module but it did not say if it was ECC or NON ECC.
In my Dimension, it doesn't matter which memory you use (ECC or Non ECC), but that might be different on your newer model. I would try sticking with the same type you already have in the machine. If you are not sure what type you have, you can either look it up on the spec sheet that came with your computer, or go to the dell website and enter your service tag on the support page - there it will basically list the same information as your spec sheet, with links to access downloads as well. If the memory you bought doesn't say ECC or Non ECC, I would try to contact the manufacturer first and see if they can tell you - or try installing it, and see if it works. There is a program available on the 'net called SiSoft Sandra that had a memory benchmark module (its a free download), I have used it to benchmark my system and tweak it.
Old 09-05-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk God

its a shame you guys have had problems

working in tech support.. i have called dell at least 100 times.. and have never had any problems at all

if we need anything replaced, they send out a tech the next day
if we need parts, they overnight them and we receive them the next day
and on the odd case that we have a question, they generally have an answer right away
my hold time is never more then a minute, if there is even a hold time

for whatever problems people have had with their service and support.. they are still head and shoulder beyond anyone else in the business
Old 09-05-01, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by dvddude23

Make a bootdisk from the control panel. Leave the floppy in the drive and reboot. Upon reboot, the machine will "boot" from a the floppy providing you with a DOS based manu system. From there, type FDISK, and a new menu will come up giving you options to format and partition your drive. Again, just be sure to select the NEW (slave) drive, or you will be wiping your current C: (master) drive!

Thanks for the reply....

I assume the slave drive will be assigned a letter that I will see on the menu??? What does it mean to partition the drive? I just want one large 40 gig drive with no seperations or partitions. What does FAT32 or FAT16 mean? Do i have to worry about them? I have WIN ME. I think I want Fat32...right? I currently can save file sizes upto 4GIG.
Old 09-05-01, 09:59 AM

I assume the slave drive will be assigned a letter that I will see on the menu???
Yes - since you already have a C drive, it will most likely be given D, and all the other letters will be moved down in order. (CD Rom, etc.)

What does it mean to partition the drive? I just want one large 40 gig drive with no seperations or partitions.
Partitoning involves splitting up the drive into volumes. You can indeed go with one 40 gig drive, but it might be more efficient of you split it up into (at least) two 20 gig drives. I bought a 60 gig drive and simply made two 50% partitions. It just makes it easier for your computer to find what you ask it to look for when you execute a program. If you tend to have many programs (games, applications, etc.) partitioning might be a good idea. Its really user preference though.

What does FAT32 or FAT16 mean? Do i have to worry about them? I have WIN ME. I think I want Fat32...right? I currently can save file sizes upto 4GIG.
Yes, you most cetrtainly want to use FAT32. I'm not totally sure on the explanation here, but I believe it has something to do with Windows using a 32 bit architecture (as opposed to the 16 it used to). Again, I don't know exactly why, but FAT32 is a lot faster and efficient when it comes to using HD space - definitely choose that.
Old 09-05-01, 10:30 AM

My main reason for using the second drive is for movie editing. So the file sizes are typically 1-4gig. Therefore I won't have many files on the second drive.... I wish I could partition my main drive but then I have to reinstall everything and I am not doing that!
Old 09-05-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ANDREMIKE
My main reason for using the second drive is for movie editing. So the file sizes are typically 1-4gig. Therefore I won't have many files on the second drive.... I wish I could partition my main drive but then I have to reinstall everything and I am not doing that!
unless you get a copy of partition magic

then you can resize your main drive

setup the partition on your new drive

format your new drive in fat32 (or whatever file system you want)

and do all this from a win32 environment, without actually having to use a boot disk and go through dos
Old 09-05-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a Dell 1.7 P4 and I just bought a new 60 GB IBM HD for it and all I did was hook the cable up to the HD and then downloaded DiskManager 2000 from IBM.com and it found it, installed it and even partitioned it all by itself....im not sure if it only works for IBM drives, but if you bought an IBM it's completely painless.
Old 09-05-01, 04:06 PM

It seems like you have to pay for discmanager2000....
But it does work for other HD. I have a MAxtor that I bought from DELL

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.