Reload this Page >

Best DVD Program for computers?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-31-01, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new Dell 8100 with 2 DVD programs...they kinda suck, so I'm wondering if anyone knows any other good DVD-ROM players and where I can get them.
Old 08-31-01, 08:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
PowerDVD from CyberLink and WinDVD from InterVideo are the top ones, the latest WinDVD is probably a little better picture-wise, I believe PowerDVD might be better sound-wise. If you look around you can often find OEM versions with some missing features for $5 - 15. Make sure you know what is missing from the full version and whether you need it. They are only about $40 for the full version anyway.
Old 08-31-01, 09:38 PM

I have WinDVD 3.0 and it is really good. It has a better picture quality than PowerDVD. I can't really comment on the sound because my Dolby Digital 5.1 decoder does the job using spdif instead of the software.
Old 08-31-01, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another vote for WinDVD 3.0. I was using PowerDVD for awhile but, started having audio problems. Go here for some other excellent dvd software utilities.
Old 09-01-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also bought PowerDVD (3.0 LE) $29 from GoCyberlink.com.

The LE version doesn't come with 5.1 sound which is fine with me since I just wanted it to take screenshots.

The picture and sound quality seems fine. The screenshots are decent but a little grainy and artifacty (compressed) looking. I wish the image quality of the screenshots was a little better. Makes for a decent enough wallpaper image, I guess.

Haven't experienced any sound problems with PowerDVD so far.

I originally bought a $10 PowerDVD disc which was a waste of money - turns out you still need to pay the $30 or whatever to Cyberlink for a registration number. Save time and money, go directly to Cyberlink.