Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Please help me decide - 1.2GHZ or 1.4GHZ Athlon???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-31-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the surface, it probably sounds like a no-brainer - go for the highest one! And price isn't really a factor, since only about $10 separates the two at some stores.

My question is this - is there any reason why I should pick the 1.2GHZ OVER the 1.4GHZ? Such as the 1.2 being more stable, less power hungry, running cooler, longer life span, etc.

And I can't spend more than $20-30 on a fan/heatsink, so that might also be a factor.
Old 08-31-01, 01:33 PM
Banned

I don't think it really matters. And you can easily get an approved HSF combo for < $30 for a 1.4 gig athlond. Whichever one you get, make sure it's a type C processor w/ a 133 MHz FSB.
Old 08-31-01, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Please help me decide - 1.2GHZ or 1.4GHZ Athlon???

Originally posted by Professor Frink
On the surface, it probably sounds like a no-brainer - go for the highest one! And price isn't really a factor, since only about $10 separates the two at some stores.

My question is this - is there any reason why I should pick the 1.2GHZ OVER the 1.4GHZ? Such as the 1.2 being more stable, less power hungry, running cooler, longer life span, etc.

And I can't spend more than $20-30 on a fan/heatsink, so that might also be a factor.
are you overclocking??

if not go for the faster one and get the retail processor. it will come with a cheap but adequate heatsink and fan and a 3 year vs one year warranty for the non retail processor(OEM).

if you are then it gets more complicated- i would look into site like http://forums.anandtech.com/ or http://forums.overclockers.com.au/fo...?s=&forumid=22 a nice aussie site

or one of many other overclocker friendly websites