Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP! Gainward GeForce3 or Matrox G550?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-24-01, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I'm only going to be using the card for 2 purposes, using TV out to use my DVD-Rom on a television and to play Counterstrike. I'm concerned about the image quality of the DVD's on the television, I heard the Matrox is known for 2D effects and is a heckuva lot cheaper than the GForce, but I also want some sick framerates on CStrike
Also anyone know of a quality midsize (for the dormroom) television I can hook one of these cards up to on the cheap? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-24-01, 10:39 PM

If you want the best TVout and 2D quality, go for the Matrox, you can't be wrong. But if you want the best 3D for games, you'll have to go with the GeForce3.

IMO, the GeForce3 costs way too much right now. Here in Montréal, you can get about 3-4 Matrox G400 DualHead 32 megs for the price of 1 GeForce3...
Old 08-25-01, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The G550 is pretty slow for 3D games by today's standards. If getting good framerates at games like CS is at all important to you, the Matrox boards aren't going to be very satisfying.

The Geforce3 is at the other extreme. Current games like CS can't really take full advantage of its capabilities so to a certain extent the extra premium you'd pay for that card is wasted for now. Your best bet at this point is something like a Geforce2 Pro board.

Or, you might want to consider ATI's Radeon DDR board. It's 3D performance is comparable to the Geforce2 series and it's DVD playback quality is generally considered to be a bit better.

One thing to consider if you plan on watching a lot of DVD's with your computer on a TV screen, is to consider a hardware decoder like the Creative Labs DXR3 or Sigma Designs Hollywood Plus. The TV-Out quality of those cards for playing DVD's is far better than those of the video cards'. You don't even need to hook up the pass-through cable unless you want to watch DVD's on your computer screen too.