Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need help with internet explorer right clicking...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-22-01, 10:36 PM

ok this may sound stupid, please bear with me.

My goal:

To use right click on a link and "open in new window" without it automatically tranfering visibility or control to that new window. I want to be able to go to that window at my own leisure.

How do I do this? My computer was set up like this before but I don't know what I did. I tried to look at the IE options and folder options without success

Any ideas?
Old 08-22-01, 11:15 PM

please help!

over 800 people have viewed this thred but no one knows what I am talking about or don't know how to fix this?

I just want to be able to freely right click a link and open a new window without going back to the original window everytime, this is driving me insane, what can I do to fix this problem?
Old 08-22-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm stumped. Get used to "alt-tab" after right clicking

here's a hint though... Shift-click opens links in a new window without having to deal with right click or the menu.
Old 08-23-01, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk God

are you talking about the feature.. where when a page gets done loading, that browser automatically comes to the front?
I know this has been fixed in the latest copy of IE 6..
try going to windowsupdate.com and make sure you have the latest service pack for whichever version of IE you are using
Old 08-23-01, 01:39 PM

no not that feature...

Say I open IE 5.5.
I go to yahoo.com

Then I right click a link say "Movies"
Once I right click that link it will give me a bunch of options:
Open
Open in New Window
Save Target As...

I select "Open in New Window"
The way it works now is that it opens a new window and
takes me to this new window which would be MOVIES.

I don't want to go to the new window. I want to stay at the yahoo homepage and open up more windows. The way it is now, everytime I open a new window, IE give me transfers control to that window and that is the active window.
I want to stay on the original page without selecting the 1st window everytime I open a new window.

Does this make sense? Thanks again for anyone that takes the time to help me!
Old 08-23-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

sounds to me..

like back when there were still sites that allowed you to click for money.. you want to be able to click all the links on a site without having to deal with all the windows that keep opening

my suggestion...

hold down the shift key.. left click the first link.. then quickly click back somewhere in the original windows.. and with the shift key still held down.. hit the next link.. etc.....
Old 08-23-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
...hold down the shift key.. left click the first link.. then quickly click back somewhere in the original windows.. and with the shift key still held down.. hit the next link.. etc.....
or keep your fingers on alt-tab.

I've just never heard of a browser not bringing windows to the front after you "open in new window"
Old 08-23-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Mr Max

or keep your fingers on alt-tab.

I've just never heard of a browser not bringing windows to the front after you "open in new window"
hmmm... or get one of those browsers that loads the new windows on tabs in the same browser..
neoplanet does it.. maybe opera?
not sure if those default to the new page or not though.. cant remember back to last time I tried one of them
Old 08-24-01, 12:14 AM

One solution I can come up with involves using TweakUI. On the Mouse tab, select 'Activation follows mouse'. Then, go to the General tab, and select 'X-Mouse AutoRaise' in the Effects list. Enabling these options will track the mouse so that whichever window the cursor is over will jump to the front and become the 'active' window. This way, you can right-click/open in new window, then just move the cursor slightly so that it is over the original window and it will then be on top.

Another option is using a mouse with programmable buttons. I have the right side button on my Intellimouse Optical programmed to minimize, so I can right-click/open in new window, then just hit the button to minimize the new window.
Old 08-27-01, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try NetCaptor ( www.netcaptor.com ). Whenever you shift-click or Right-Click and open a new window, it loads in a tab along the bottom of the program - very slick program and very useful when you have multiple windows open.
Old 08-27-01, 09:47 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Mr Max
i haven't either. i don't think it's possible in ie without external software.

it's really not a big deal doing a shift-left-click (opens in new window) then doing a alt-tab. this would be just as fast as doing a right-click -> open in new window anyway (if that's what you were doing).