Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How can I capture screen shots of pop-up messages???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-22-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for the easy question.
I need to do this on Win2000 and Win 98. Is the process different? Please let me know. It is a function key or key combo, right???
Thanks,

mini
Old 08-22-01, 06:27 PM
X
Administrator

Try Alt-PrintScrn then paste it into Paint and cut out the part you want if you get more of the screen than desired. Win98 does the whole screen, 2000 does just the active window when you use the Alt.
Old 08-22-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

if Im not mistaken.. with win9x and 2k..

if you just hit print screen and then paste it somewhere.. you get the entire window

while if you hit alt print screen.. you just get the active window
Old 08-22-01, 08:18 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by twikoff
if Im not mistaken.. with win9x and 2k..

if you just hit print screen and then paste it somewhere.. you get the entire window

while if you hit alt print screen.. you just get the active window
Try the Alt with win9x. You'll get the whole screen. Only works right on NT type OS's.
Old 08-22-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
Try the Alt with win9x. You'll get the whole screen. Only works right on NT type OS's.
then thats the confusing part
because when our users have error messages.. we have then do alt printscreen then email it to us, and we just get the error message.. all on win95 machines
Old 08-22-01, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by X

I just tried it with Win98 SE and I only got the active window, not the whole screen.
Old 08-22-01, 09:33 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett

I just tried it with Win98 SE and I only got the active window, not the whole screen.
Hmm, I do this all the time and get the whole screen. I'll check it again.
Old 08-22-01, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys!
I have to do a "How-To" for users logging into our email via our webmail, so I need to get screen shots of the LAME popups for users to see in my FAQ.
mini
Old 08-22-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

actually.. come to think of it

I have to prepare screenshots of alot of our installs on win95 machines.. so that future peoples wont have the same troubles fighting through figuring out the installation and configuration..
and Ive always used alt print screen to just get the active windows for the screenshot instruction sheets.
Old 08-22-01, 10:13 PM
X
Administrator

Ok, here's the deal. Win9x gives you the entire application window, not just the currently active form. The parent window as well as the child that is highlighted gets copied. Not the entire desktop as I was thinking of earlier. It's just as much of a pain for me though as I use apps with MDI/child forms a lot and only want the active form.

NT-based systems do it right and give only the currently active form, not the entire app.
Old 08-23-01, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk God

but...

if our users are in an application.. and an error message pops up

we have them hit alt-print screen and email it to use.. by doing this, we just get a copy of the error message.. not the application they were using..

in this situation.. wouldnt the error message be the child and the application that the error came from be the parent?
Old 08-23-01, 11:31 AM
X
Administrator

I think because the error message is what's called a modal form and must be addressed before anything else can be clicked on in the application it is the only one captured. The entire app is essentially unavailable at that point.

There are two kinds of pop-ups, modal which requires your attention before doing anything else in the app, and non-modal which is just like any other form and doesn't require confirmation before doing something else, possibly used to warn about a subfunction, but not requiring the entire app to be nonresponsive.

Since I usually take snapshots of non-modal forms which primarily are subfunctions of an app (my apps rarely get errors ) the behavior of Win98 is particularly irksome. I want only the active subform, not the entire app captured. NT and 2000 captures only the active form with the Alt. If I want the entire app, I highlight it and then use the Alt.