Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ok, I'm Pissed. Need Help 4 A New Computer.

Old 08-22-01, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, I'm Pissed. Need Help 4 A New Computer.

I think my computer is down on its last legs. Windows 98 has been crashing more often, the CD-ROM can't spin faster than 8X, and I just discovered today that my CD-R is no longer being detected by my SCSI driver. I'm just about ready to throw it out with yesterday's garbage.

No, of course, I wouldn't do that, but I do need some help/suggestions. First, my system is an o/c Celeron 300A running at 450 -- so that makes my computer 2 years old? It has 128MB, which should be enough for Windows 98. So, in the last six months or so, the computer has been crashing frequently -- at least once or twice a day. But, lately, I've been getting a lot of MSHTML.DLL and KERNEL32.DLL errors. Plus, performance seems slower, but I have no hard evidence for that. At first, I thought it was just Windows 98. Then, I thought it was the hard drive since most of the problems were associated with the second drive -- a surface scan eliminated this idea. Now, I'm beginning to think the processor is just getting old. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm running it at 1.1V to o/c it to 450. Is it just me or is it the processor?

Second, I have a Plextor system. The CD-R drive was the Plextor 12/4 model, and the CD-ROM was the Plextor 40X max. Now, I was having problems with the CD-ROM in that it wasn't spinning past 8X -- no change in that. Just today, I discovered that my burner isn't even being picked up by my SCSI card. Even when the CD-ROM was having trouble spinning past 8X, the burner was still being detected. So, what's going on here? Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post. I'm wrestling with the idea of getting a barebone system. The problem is -- I have no idea what's good now and even if I need to go for a complete overhaul. I'd settle for just replacing the MB and the CPU. I'm running a Slot1 Abit BX6-2, and I don't think the newer CPUs will run on it, right? Will a slocket work with the new CPUs and my MB? Will PC100 RAM work with the new CPUs? Is o/c CPUs as easy as it was before? Is the CenDyne 12X10X32X any good? Any good IDE CD-rippers?

I'm tempted to go back to Plextor, but I got burned by both of their drives. I feel so cheated especially how I was so excited to get a brand name drive -- I mean, the top brand name drive. :P

Please... I need guidance. X? Twikoff? Anyone?!?

Edit: Can anyone point me to a good DIY computer part guide? I remember there was one called cheapasscomputer.com or something.

Last edited by quietsoul; 08-22-01 at 03:42 AM.
Old 08-22-01, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Install Linux.

Otherwise a nice 1.2-1.4 GHz Athlon never hurt nobody.
RAM is cheap, 256 MB+ is nice.
60 GB hard drives are only $108.
A GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB is only $62.

Bottom line you can build yourself a really nice machine for under a grand. (Monitor not included)
Old 08-22-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if your are going to go as far a build a new system, why not just reformat and reinstall first? I would first stop o/c ing the cpu. yeah that can cause problems even with the SCSI card.

If your are going to build I would build now. I have a feeling that the closer we get to XP being released prices are going to go up cause XP is going to start a upgrade cycle.

If you are going to store buy, I would wait till you could get XP preinstalled. It's comming out on Oct.25th
Old 08-22-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk God

do you really want to buy a new computer?

the celery at 450 is still more then usable..
first... win9x is an unstable OS.. of course its good for gaming, but you will experience problems like this from time to time.. my suggestion in these cases would be a good fdisk and format.. and set it back up fresh.. this could very well cure all the problems your having..
what type of scsi card are you using?
also.. toss in a stack of memory.. with the current prices, there is no reason not to max out (Im running 768mb pc133 myself)
if you really want to try an upgrade.. and you are happy with the performance you have gotten out of your celeron 300a clocked at 450.. I would suggest the abit be6 II board and a celeron 566 chip.. you can clock it up to 850 rather easily.. and put 768mb sdram in there.. you wont believe the difference
you can pick them up dirt cheap on pricewatch.com
and I can vouche for them.... my old system was a 300a clocked at 450.. and Im currently running a 566 at 850.. not planning to make another move anytime soon.. because nothing has come out that is really worth the money for performance increase I would get (in my opinion).
yes you can use the pc100 sdram.. actually no need for the 133 if you are just overclock at 100mhz anyways.. but if you are buying new.. its the same price, so its hard to go for the slower ram.
Old 08-22-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think i'll have to look into the BE6-2/566 combo. i did a clean install about a two weeks ago. it ran fine for three nights and then the computer started crashing. it seems it's been getting worse since then. i do a clean install about once a month -- i never repartition the computer though. do i need to do that? most times i just restore an image using norton ghost after reformatting C -- where windows and all the essential programs are. all games and documents are located on drives D, E, and F. i would like to keep the 450, but i'm starting to be convinced that it is the processor.

oh, the SCSI card i am using was a new adaptec 2940U with just the CD-R, and the CD-ROM hooked up to it. i never had a problem with it, and i don't think it's the SCSI card since it is still detecting the CD-ROM. perhaps i'm looking at a complete failure. i have two sticks of PC100 64MB CL2 that i'm using in the computer. RAM prices are dirt cheap, right now, so it's not a problem.

also, about the CENDYNE 12/10/32 -- ideas about that? oh, and i'll need to replace the CD-ROM, too. are there good IDE CD-ROM drives with good CD-ripping capabilities?

thanks for all the help,

qs
Old 08-22-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by quietsoul
most times i just restore an image using norton ghost after reformatting C -- where windows and all the essential programs are. all games and documents are located on drives D, E, and F. i would like to keep the 450, but i'm starting to be convinced that it is the processor.

qs
That may be your problem there. First, that's not what I'd call a "clean install." Second, if you're doing what it sounds like you're doing, I'm not surprised you're having stability problems.

Have you ever wiped all your drives (except the data files of course), and re-installed everything from scratch? I mean, not restoring from an image, but actually going through the setup process for each program. That's what most people mean when they say "clean install."
Old 08-22-01, 02:31 PM

I agree with a format and complete re-install. I've had a Celly 300A at 464 since Jan. '99 and it's still doing fine, SCSI and all.

It _may_ be heat related. Make sure the fan on the heatsink is still spinning, and use compressed air to blow out any dust that's accumulated on the heatsink. 2.1v to o/c isn't bad at all (spec is 2.0), but that CPU needs the heatsink and fan even at spec. You can try dropping the speed down to 300 and see if you have any errors. If not, I'll put $$$ on a heat problem.
Old 08-22-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by quietsoul
i think i'll have to look into the BE6-2/566 combo. i did a clean install about a two weeks ago. it ran fine for three nights and then the computer started crashing. it seems it's been getting worse since then. i do a clean install about once a month -- i never repartition the computer though. do i need to do that? most times i just restore an image using norton ghost after reformatting C -- where windows and all the essential programs are. all games and documents are located on drives D, E, and F. i would like to keep the 450, but i'm starting to be convinced that it is the processor.

oh, the SCSI card i am using was a new adaptec 2940U with just the CD-R, and the CD-ROM hooked up to it. i never had a problem with it, and i don't think it's the SCSI card since it is still detecting the CD-ROM. perhaps i'm looking at a complete failure. i have two sticks of PC100 64MB CL2 that i'm using in the computer. RAM prices are dirt cheap, right now, so it's not a problem.

also, about the CENDYNE 12/10/32 -- ideas about that? oh, and i'll need to replace the CD-ROM, too. are there good IDE CD-ROM drives with good CD-ripping capabilities?

thanks for all the help,

qs
not sure abuot the cendyne.. because i generally try not to give opinions on hardware that I have not worked with or setup before.. you should check the forum and reviews at http://www.cdrinfo.com/ they have a pretty comprehensive listing

even though I use ghost images at work quite often.. I do agree that you might also consider doing a fdisk.. format c: /u then reinstall fresh and setup your apps fresh again..
is it possible that one of the applications you are installing a new version of, it causing this problem? (I know one version of zonealarm caused similar problems).. I would consider adding back the essential software and running it... if you dont have any problems.. add back in the extra stuff one or two things at a time.. so you can pinpoint if its one particular software conflict.

if you do go with the be6II/566.. I think youll be happy with the speed increase at that price.. mine runs like a champs..
Old 08-22-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

let's see -- from all the previous times i've used norton ghost, i have never had a problem with the images. after a format and an image restore -- i took the image right after an FDISK, a format, and a manual installation of windows and the essentials -- the computer worked fine in the past, which is one of the reasons i think this might be hardware and not software.

second, the last two times i have cleaned out the computer. i did it from scratch -- format and then manual install. i never used the /u command though -- what does that do now? also, is FDISK necessary? do i have to repartition my hard drives?

thanks for everything everybody. twikoff, do you have any BE6 boards you want to sell me? i did a look on pricewatch and i couldn't find a vendor. thanks.
Old 08-22-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

/u formats the data so that its completely gone and cannot be undeleted later.. I make sure to do this on every format

ghost takes care of the fdisk.. but I prefer to go ahead and delete the partitions anyways.

nope.. sorry.. dont have any spare be6 II motherboards laying around.. i did have a couple extra... but built systems for friends with them already..