Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help in setup for Mobo

Old 08-21-01, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Need help in setup for Mobo

I got the Iwill KA 266r mobo and i thoguht the setup would be easy even for a begginer but yesterday after I had all the parts in place i could not get the monitor working the mobo was beeping every 5 seconds.
I tried unpluggin everthing except the memory and the video card.But the beeps still there
Old 08-21-01, 08:41 PM

Few things to check.

1) take out all extra stuff. just leave in 1 stick of memory, HD, the CPU and the video card. Make sure memory and Video card are in the sockets correctly. (you may think they are but may not take um out and do it again) Make sure the heat sink on the CPU is on correctly! Them AMD chips get real hot real fast so make sure that is correct. If you can boot now add other parts one at a time. Make sure the IDE cable for the HD is not reversed. The red wire goes to pin1 on both ends. Same with floppy. I beleave you can boot without a HD and a floppy so you may want to disconnect them as well at first.

2) If your board has built in video check the manual how to disable it. You may have to do it in the bios and might have to hook up the monitor to the onboard video the first time to change it.
Old 08-21-01, 09:03 PM

This is what I got right now
256mb PC 2100 Crucial memory
40gb IBM 7200 rpm HDD
GeForce 2 400mx video card
No sound card
Took out the video card,but still beeps like a long beep every 3 seconds.
Floppy works fine, the CPU is okay with the cooler also, and I use Artic Silver2 for the heatsink!I still am guessing its the memory.the DVD rom did not work but now i changed some cables i got them running.
Got any pic on the web about the cables!maybe I made a mistake,got 1 ata 100 cable.The floppy drive has no problems I think because it light up.Cant get the HDD drive to light up also!
Old 08-21-01, 09:23 PM

The floppy should not light up unless it is being used so if it is lit at boot up the cable is wrong. Remove it see if it boots.

make sure the DVD is set to SLAVE if on the same cable as the HD and make sure the HD is set to master. But till you get it going remove the DVD. Just have the HD.

Unless it has built in video you need the video card installed for it to boot.

Also check the jumpers on the board and make sure you have the freq. and mult. set correct for the CPU.
Old 08-22-01, 01:51 AM

Just done that all and finally called the tech support in japan.They said return the board for repair.Now i am gonna waste another week waiting for it to be repaired.The board will beep if less power, got no video card and also for memory.If all this is working fine then the board need to be checked out it seems.Thanks for your help.