Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

have you ever flashed your bios?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: have you ever flashed your bios?
Yes, of course.
85.29%
No way!
8.82%
whats a bios?
5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

between home and work.. I would say I have flashed the bios at least 200 desktops/laptops..

but I was talking to some of the guys in IT at another computer before.. and I suggested flashing the bios to solve a problem they described.. and they sounded scared to death to try.. I just thought it was odd that the IT people from this company didnt regularly flash the bios on their machines...
Old 08-21-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flash and brush my bios daily.
Old 08-21-01, 04:43 PM

Regularly?

I don't know that I would flash the bios regularly. If there's a major update that fixes something or adds some major functionality, sure. It's not exactly like a Windows patch.

Mike
Old 08-21-01, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
OK, here comes the stupid question...How do you flash your bios? I have an ASUS CUSL-2 MoBo, and I went to their site, but like the original thread said, I'm scared, dammit!! Seriously, how is it done AND what are the benefits of flashing?
Old 08-21-01, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by dvdsteve2000
OK, here comes the stupid question...How do you flash your bios? I have an ASUS CUSL-2 MoBo, and I went to their site, but like the original thread said, I'm scared, dammit!! Seriously, how is it done AND what are the benefits of flashing?
if you dont have any problems or limitations.. there is no need to flash..

that said.. to flash.. you just download a new bios version for your motherboard (you must be 100% sure you have the right one).. then normally when you run the downloaded file, it will prompt you for a disk.. then it will make the disk bootable with the flash included..
then you just boot once with that disk and watch it go..
pop the disk out.. reboot.. and your done
Old 08-21-01, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

re: regularly

when I say regularly.. I dont necessarily mean the same machine

I support hundreds of machines at work.. and flashes are necessary for one reason or another quite often.. especially when it comes to laptops.. laptops require bios flashes to fix alot more issues then the ones that you find in desktop computers.
Old 08-21-01, 06:42 PM

Not only do I flash it, but yes yes I flash it.

I have moddified mine to replace the Energy Star image. I have flashed my Geforce bios to rise the default GPU and Memory speed. I think flashing if fun!!!!!. You do have to be careful, but not afraid.

I have run into a lot people saying that is something they just wouldn't do. Man, I think upgrading Internet Explorer is more dangerous

Oh, and at work that is the first thing I do. Gotta update that bios.
Old 08-21-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ASUS boards are real easy.

1)on a win98 machine format a floppy, check the SYSTEM files option. That will make a bootable floppy. (winME and 2000 do not have the system option and can't make bootable floppys)

2)go to the ASUS site and download the latest AFLASH utility.

3)download the latest BIOS, usually in a zip format, unzip it and rename it something simple like xxxx.bio where xxxx=version number. This is just so it easy to remember what the name is cause you are going to have to type it in.

4)copy that file, the AFLASH program to the boot floppy you just made.

5)reboot with boot floppy in drive when you get a C prompt type AFLASH.

6)it will ask what do you want to do, first SAVE the old BIOS, make any name again I use the version number.

7)next it will go back to the first screen again and this time select flash new BIOS. Type in the name of the file xxxx.bio and let it go.

8) when done it will ask if you want to do it again, say no if all went well and it should unless your power goes out, do not do this in a thunder storm or heat wave

9)remove floppy and turn off power to computer, turn it on again and press the delete button to get to the BIOS. You then have to load the BIOS defaults (on the last screen) do a save and exit.

10) it will reboot and again press delete to enter the BIOS and reset what ever needs to be reset, if you have never changed anything there before you can skip this and just let the computer start as normal.

It is really not very hard to do, I do suggest you test the boot disk first and play around in the bios to learn the layout if you have never been there before. You have to use the arrow keys to move around and sometimes the + (plus) and - (minus) keys to change things. If you change something and don't remember what it was you can always leave without saving changes so it is sort of save to play around. Have a paper and pencil handy if you want to change something so you can right down what the original setting was, or you can just load BIOS defaults to clear all the settings.

Now if I remember correctly on that board the upgrade from 1002 to 1003 (it was a low BIOS number) was a bit of a problem cause you have to also clear the CMOS cause the machine would not boot up again! If this happens remove the battery from the board for a few minutes. If you have 1003 or higher already then don't worry about it.

As for the Poll, yeah I flash whenever there is a new final version. Right now I am on a A7M266 and just upped to 1004a a few days ago.
Old 08-21-01, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally posted by TheGuy

ASUS boards are real easy.

1)on a win98 machine format a floppy, check the SYSTEM files option. That will make a bootable floppy. (winME and 2000 do not have the system option and can't make bootable floppys)
OK, thanks, but I am running WinMe. Do I follow the directions as listed, just without making the bootable floppy???
Old 08-22-01, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk God

OK, thanks, but I am running WinMe. Do I follow the directions as listed, just without making the bootable floppy???
nope.. just add more step in front of that

1a) format and install win98 or win2k
Old 08-22-01, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by twikoff

just download a new bios version for your motherboard (you must be 100% sure you have the right one)..
OMG, I cannot stress how important this is! I flashed my bios
with the wrong one once and eeek! The other times things
went smoothly.

Neitzl
Old 08-22-01, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well youcan visit http://www.bootdisk.com and downlaod one, you will also have to download winimage to extract the image to make the floppy.

Or if you have a local small computer store bring a floppy and ask if they will do it for you, or maybe a friend? or at work.

You should get a few, a good boot disk is a good thing to have
Old 08-22-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Neitzl

OMG, I cannot stress how important this is! I flashed my bios
with the wrong one once and eeek! The other times things
went smoothly.

Neitzl
yea.. I have flashes literally hundreds of machines here at work.. and only once done it wrong.. actually it was a coworker that did the flash, but i was supervising.. and we couldnt find a good service tag for the machine.. so we were stuck trying to decipher exactly which board it had.. this was a old system and very tough to tell.. we narrowed it down to two choices and he chose the wrong one..
bad bios flash = toss the motherboard in the garbage

anymore.. alot of the flash utilities include a utility to undo a flash.. but that isnt always the case.. and wasnt the case back then..

quick way to ruin a machine!
Old 08-24-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Twikoff, we've had some machines that ran licenseware, and the programs would not run if you modified the machine to the point where the licenseware detected that it was running on a different machine.... The software installs on certain sectors, so you can't carelessly compress the drive, swap drives, ghost copy drives (because the drive ID changes), change BIOS versions, etcetera. To re-install, you have to send off for a new installer disc which loads once, gives you a code, you call by telephone and get a counter-code to use. New installers cost money unless you are subscribing to their updating service plans. That means if the machine is screwed up, it may be awhile before various applications (and their data) can be made available again. So, flashing BIOS is not done here if things are working well.