Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DV Editing on your computer....

Old 08-17-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DV Editing on your computer....

I would like to do this, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a program I should use in particular. Does anybody know if Adobe Premier is capable of importing video from digital tapes? Also, does anybody know of a program that can export back to digital tape without sacrificing quality?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 08-17-01, 11:22 PM
RaZorBlade

1) I believe Premiere can import video, but you need a capture card as well (if it's from a DV camera, a firewire port)

2) If you're going to edit it, you're going to lose quality, no way around it. Premiere can export to tape as well, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone with just that program.

(I do believe that some capture cards are not compliant with Premiere's import/export functions so you might want to check before you buy it...)

Also, some people wouldn't recommend Premiere for first-time editors, and would suggest a simpler program like MGI VideoWave instead. Premiere offers many more options and precision when editing, so I guess it's your choice.

It would help to know what you're editing, though, before making a suggestion (for an actual movie that you're making, I'd suggest Premiere, but if it's home videos or something, then VideoWave or something else might be more suitable)

Old 08-18-01, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

I use Studio DV. It seems fine for transferring from a digital camcorder via firewire. You pick your compression level and type.

Moving to computer forum...
Old 08-18-01, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would 2nd Randy's recommendation. Especially if you are just getting into it. StudioDV is under $100 and includes the software/card/etc. Premiere is very expensive and not as user-friendly. Try the much cheaper route and then if you find you really need to be doing stuff that you have to have premiere for...then take the plunge.

FYI, both programs and most others will all allow you to export back out to the DV. It's still very high quality...better than VHS, IMO.
Old 08-18-01, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a firewire card, and access to all the software I would need, so it is not a cost issue. I have some experience with using Premiere to edit together animations, I have just never used the import/export feature, that is where my concern lay.

thanks again,

Dan
Old 08-18-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used premiere on my PC, but the windows envionment was quite shakey for DV editing ...

I now use an iBook and it is fantastic for editing ... the FREE software that comes with it (iMovie2) is VERY simple to use and creates great results ..

if I understand it correctly I am NOT loosing quality when importing and then exporting ...

P
Old 08-18-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by caipirina
I used premiere on my PC, but the windows envionment was quite shakey for DV editing ...

I now use an iBook and it is fantastic for editing ... the FREE software that comes with it (iMovie2) is VERY simple to use and creates great results ..

if I understand it correctly I am NOT loosing quality when importing and then exporting ...

P
DV editing through firewire (IEEE 1394, iLink, etc.) is essentially lossless. Your end result when printed back out to DV tape is identical for all intents and purposes. Analog capture's quality depends on how high your compression settings are. Full quality analog capture takes more than twice the space and twice the hard drive throughput as firewire.

iMovie2 is a very nice basic editor. if you haven't already gotten them, there is an enhancement pack with several transitions and effects available free on Apple's site. Premiere is much more powerful, but has a steeper learning curve. If you really want a challenge, pick up a copy of Final Cut Pro. better have some time on your hands though. The user's manual is 1,400 pages long.

On the windows side, studio DV is the best route to go for the beginner. A great site for capture cards and software is www.videoguys.com

J