Reload this Page >

Installing Office XP, a question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-16-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm gonna install Office XP today I think(or Office 2000, haven't decided).

I use Outlook Express as my mail service, I know both XP and 2000 have the option to install Outlook. Since I already have Outlook Express installed...would I be better off doing a custom install and NOT installing Outlook, or should I use the newest version?

Anyone have any comments?

Also, XP or 2000?
Old 08-16-01, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To me, the difference between office xp and office 2k are negligible. The only big difference is the interface. But hey, if it's newer, it's better, is what I always say.

I have Outlook XP installed, but I still use Express mostly because it runs faster. Of course... I don't have a super computer, so I don't think it's gonna work as good as I want it to.

So stick with Office XP minus Outlook.
Old 08-16-01, 12:27 PM
X
Administrator

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
I would use Outlook. OE has less capabilities, but if you don't need them why switch?

As for XP or 2000, I'd say stay with 2000 unless you need something that's been added in XP. I've used them both and haven't found anything new and useful in XP yet. 2000's been around for a while and has already had patches developed.
Old 08-16-01, 06:16 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I use both, have Office XP on there, and use Outlook Express for newsgroups.

Outlook 2002 or whatever they call it did not for me overwrite the outlook express program.

I am pretty sure it won't as OE is/was a free e-mail client.
Old 08-16-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go costum and do not install outlook
Old 08-16-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X

As for XP or 2000, I'd say stay with 2000 unless you need something that's been added in XP. I've used them both and haven't found anything new and useful in XP yet. 2000's been around for a while and has already had patches developed.
i agree.. in my opinion.. most of the changes from XP to 2k, are just annoyances.. 2000 is nice.. XP is a little too idiot friendly
Old 08-16-01, 10:45 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Three things I don't like about XP.

1. The REQUIREMENT to regester. I don' t like MS or any other company knowing what software I do and don't run on my system, plus I do much component upgrading, which would screw up XP's spyware "profile" of my computer. If I upgrade to XP, I'll have to install a hack to get rid of that.

2. Dropping dual-CPU support in the consumer version. I don't run a dual-CPU system, but I want the option to be available to me without buying the high-end, high-dollar version of XP.

3. Dropping dual-monitor support. I don't use it, but I could, and don't like having the option removed.

Every day, XP is looking more and more like a very bad thing.