Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheapest place to get the A7A266 and AMD 1.2-1.3

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-15-01, 09:47 AM

About to go ahead and upgrade my k6-3 450 and wanted to know where you guys are purchasing your hardware now. Just looking for the cheapest and most reliable place to get it.

Also, should I wait till the MP chips come out in expectation of a price-drop on these "older" chips?

And, just to make sure, there are no compatibility issues with this board and SB live cards and GeForce video are there? I had a nightmare when I built my current system with an FIC mb.

Thanks for any help,

C. Ryan
Old 08-15-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

newegg.com has good prices on both. googlegear has good price on the mobo, but their AMD processors are OEM.

I doubt you have any compatability issues. I have used Asus boards for 5 years and never had a problem with sound blaster cards or in my experience with Geforce cards.
Old 08-15-01, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought the A7A266 w/ a 1.33GHZ Thunderbird from motherboard.com (TC Computers) and they are very reliable. probably not the best price, but certainly reasonable and their customer service is great. they test the board w/ processor before they ever ship it. i had a bios update that didn't finish...i shipped it back to them and they reflashed the chip and fedexed it back to me within a couple of days. i definitely recommend them.
Old 08-20-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just purchased the A7A266 from newegg.com with a 1GHZ AMD OEM. I paid $135 for the board and $72 for the CPU. I also bought a Leadtek Geforce 2 Pro 32MB DDR for $129 and a Soundblaster Live 5.1 for $50 from there. I think they have great prices! Go for mushkin memory. Lifetime warranty and I hear their the best. I got 512 MB of PC2100 DDR for $139 shipped!
Old 08-20-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I second Newegg.com. I bought a Enlight case for $65 shipped last week and it arrived Fed Ex from California in 3 days

On Friday I too ordered the Asus ATA266 Mobo with the 1GHz T-Bird. I also got a cheap NIC and Sound Blaster PCI 128 all for $261.41 shipped!

They seem to have some of the best prices and if the shipping is consistant I will have my stuff by Thursday at the latest
Old 08-20-01, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

jumbojp,

How do you like the Enlight case? Have not bought a case in years so I have no idea as to what to get.

Thanks,

C. Ryan
Old 08-20-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

C. Ryan,

I know you didn't ask me but I got an Antec SOHO File Server case. This case has gotten excellent reviews. Has plenty of room for expansion and is supposed to be really good for air flow. I picked mine up from www.directron.com for $118 shipped. I got the more expensive one that was Jet Black. It comes with a 330W power supply. You can pick up the charcoal black one for $98 and here is a coupon code for $10 off:

ebrick10off

Check it out here for the charcoal: http://www.directron.com/sx1030b.html

or here for the jet black one:
http://www.directron.com/fs710b.html
Old 08-20-01, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like it, but I may not be the person to ask The looks of a case aren't as important as reliablity and cost to me.

This is also my first time building a computer so I am just going off of reviews I find and the Enlight cases gets many good reviews.

It is AMD reccommended and comes with a 300 watt power supply. I think for $65 shipped it is a great case for the money.