Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Which burner should I buy??? 24x for $153 or 16x for $100... both BURNProof...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-14-01, 09:58 PM

I am in the market for a new CD Burner... my 2x just ain't cutting it anymore... I have a 400Mhz computer, so it isn't all that fast... should I buy a 24x burner, or would i be wasting $50? I am ONLY looking at the models which have BURNProof... I hate coasters

the two models I have in mind are

Sanyo
CRD-BP1500 IDE 24x10x40 CD-R/RW Bare Drive only
24x CD-R, 10x CD-RW, 40x Max CD-ROM ATAPI/EIDE Interface (DMA/33) Burn Proof
$149 + $4 shipping

Lite-On
Price for online orders only 16x10x40 INTERNAL E-IDE CD-RW 1 yr warranty-RETAIL BOX
16x10x40 - BURN PROOF. w/ cable/NERO Software
$91 + $8.90 Shipping

All I burn are Audio CD's and data... nothing else... for now...
Old 08-14-01, 10:14 PM

Do yourself a big favor and spend a bit more and get a Plextor. n the long run you will be gald you did.
Old 08-14-01, 11:38 PM
X
Administrator

If you're only using it for burning (not DAE) I'd say go with the 16x because it's cheaper and 24x media is scarce. 16x is plenty fast for burning. If you're planning on doing DAE with them their quality in that area would be very important. You do realize that you can't write faster than you can read. And if you're copying audio CD's, few readers do a consistently good job reading over 16x (except Plextor).

However, you should check out reviews of the drives. I've heard good and bad about the Lite-On. I think it had really good performance (particularly with DAE), but bad build/reliability quality overall (if I remember correctly). And I never even heard of the Sanyo.
Old 08-15-01, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree with TheGuy.. hell.. just go with the plextor 12x at about the same price..

the minute or so burning time difference is more then made up by the quality difference
Old 08-15-01, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am new to burning cd's. What is DAE? Also, how does burnproofing work?
Thanks!
Old 08-15-01, 08:38 AM

DAE = Digital Audio Extraction ---> ripping songs from music CDs
Old 08-15-01, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DonkeyKong
DAE = Digital Audio Extraction ---> ripping songs from music CDs
More than just that, though. Copying any audio track, whether it be on a game or a cd, you will use DAE. Just because a cd-rom/cdrw can read at 50x or 32x doesn't mean it can do DAE that fast. Plextor, hands down, has the fastest drives for DAE.

Burnproof adjust the stream of data for burning according to resources available. Send info. too fast and you get a buffer over-run. Send it too slow and you get an under-run. Both will ruin the burn. Burnproof will adjust it as necessary to make sure the burn can finish.
Old 08-15-01, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by TOLEN
I am new to burning cd's. What is DAE? Also, how does burnproofing work?
Thanks!
BURNProof is "Buffer Under RuN Protection" Basically, the traditional burners have a laser which CANNOT stop... if it stops, you get a coaster... and if your PC cannot supply the data fast enought to keep up with the laser, and the laser runs out of data to write... you empty the buffer and get buffer underrun... with BURNProof, the burner itself has a buffer in it AND it now has the technology to STOP the laser in case of lack of data, and wait for the buffer to re-fill, then it can start the laser again... so, even slow computers can use a fast burner, although.... they most likely will only be able to burn as fast as the computer can supply the data...
make a long story short, the burner will stop the laser and refill the data buffer, before it makes a coaster.
Old 08-15-01, 04:08 PM

I would definitely reccommend either a Plextor or a TDK drive. There was some talk of the TDK's basically being a Plextor, but using a different firmware (something to that effect). I have a 12x TDK, and I love it. I haven't made one coaster yet, and have both of the drives connected on the same IDE chain (a no-no for buffer underruns). If you're looking for a quick fix, those two you list might work, but for solid burns today and in the future, Plextor is the way to go, with TDK being second for me (I got my 12x for a steal of a price when it came out through a "friend" of mine).

Good luck on your choice!
Old 08-15-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvddude23
I would definitely reccommend either a Plextor or a TDK drive. There was some talk of the TDK's basically being a Plextor, but using a different firmware (something to that effect). I have a 12x TDK, and I love it. I haven't made one coaster yet, and have both of the drives connected on the same IDE chain (a no-no for buffer underruns). If you're looking for a quick fix, those two you list might work, but for solid burns today and in the future, Plextor is the way to go, with TDK being second for me (I got my 12x for a steal of a price when it came out through a "friend" of mine).

Good luck on your choice!
I have a 16/10/40 TDK with burnproof and love it.. it does dae at 32x...I got it because the plex was unavailable at the time and the TDK was a bit cheaper anyway. It works great.

get a quality drive...
Old 08-15-01, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I thought this might help a little. It says the Plextor isn't WinMe compatible. Not sure if it's true, but make sure your OS will work with your new drive.

By the way, I have a Yamaha 16/10/40, and I've never had a disc f-up yet. Just recently though, I had what some believe was an overheating problem. I do love the drive, and it's working perfectly now!!!

Sorry the pic is so damn big...just wanted to make sure you could read it.
Old 08-15-01, 09:16 PM

Plex's are WinME compatable, hell I am using um on WinXP RC2 with no problems. Never heard of that "best buy" model, where did they come up with that one?
Old 08-15-01, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

the plextor drives are compatible with everything
all operating systems.. all burning software.. all brands of cds....

never made a bad burn on mine!

nothing beats the real thing
Old 08-15-01, 11:14 PM
Stealth Moderator

okay, so where can I get a Plextor for cheap? at least a 12x recording speed and with BURN-Proof?

my Yamaha 8x just died and I need a new cd burner. my Yamaha computer speakers also bust last week. i'm having bad luck with Yamaha's ... ... the burner is almost two years old, but the speakers are only 8 months old. i tried to get the speakers serviced (warranty), but they require a receipt showing that i got it less than a year ago ... ... anyway ...

i got those free_after_rebate speakers (Logitech or Labtec or something) from Staples so that's taken care of. i need a cd burner though.

TIA.
Old 08-15-01, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by namja
okay, so where can I get a Plextor for cheap? at least a 12x recording speed and with BURN-Proof?
I found this "deal"... So far, it is the best I could find...
Plextor 16x10x40
http://www.mamicro.com/plexplex16in.html
$163 and $14 for shipping = $177
Old 08-16-01, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk God

for the plexor 121032
buy.com has it for 149.95... free shipping until the 19th... add another 5 cents to your cart and you can use the 15 off 150 coupons (from techbargains.com).. $135 shipped
Old 08-16-01, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

with either the 12x or 16x, if your area staples has access, pricematch to one of the above and use a coupon!!! that is how I got my TDK velocd 16X.. My area didn't have any plex's available at the time. You have to call in anyway to check, because they don't always list all the burners on the site.

by local I mean staples.com website delivery to your area...
Old 08-16-01, 11:33 AM

Do yourself a favor and get a Lite-On. These drives are the best on the market right now. Yes, even better than Plextor and they cost just about half. Lite-On also makes drives for Pacific Digital and Sun Cheer. I know, I know the name makes it sound like some cheapo generic but it's not. These things are great.

By the way...I just read that Dell ordered I think around 500,000 Lite-On CD-RW drives for use in there systems.
Old 08-16-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

my Yamaha 8x just died and I need a new cd burner. my Yamaha computer speakers also bust last week. i'm having bad luck with Yamaha's ... ... the burner is almost two years old, but the speakers are only 8 months old. i tried to get the speakers serviced (warranty), but they require a receipt showing that i got it less than a year ago ... ... anyway ...

i got those free_after_rebate speakers (Logitech or Labtec or something) from Staples so that's taken care of. i need a cd burner though.

TIA.
Same here.... I've been through 2 Yamaha CDr drives... both burned out in a little over 2 years.....

Next time I'm looking into a plextor too.

-k
###
Old 08-16-01, 04:53 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Keyser Soze

Same here.... I've been through 2 Yamaha CDr drives... both burned out in a little over 2 years.....

Next time I'm looking into a plextor too.

-k
###
Ack! I just got one of their 16x ones (without Burnproof). Good thing it only cost $35.
Old 08-16-01, 07:01 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by X
Ack! I just got one of their 16x ones (without Burnproof). Good thing it only cost $35.
Several of my friends here at University of Illinois have Yamaha drives and they've been happy with them. Hope the drive works out for you.

I found the Plextor 16x10x40 with BURN-Proof at newegg.com for $169 including s/h. It's the OEM version. The RETAIL version is $11 more, but it's not available. Since I don't need the manual and stuff, OEM should be just as good as the RETAIL, right? Anything I should be concerned about? Both carry a 1 year warranty.
Old 08-16-01, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Several of my friends here at University of Illinois have Yamaha drives and they've been happy with them. Hope the drive works out for you.

I found the Plextor 16x10x40 with BURN-Proof at newegg.com for $169 including s/h. It's the OEM version. The RETAIL version is $11 more, but it's not available. Since I don't need the manual and stuff, OEM should be just as good as the RETAIL, right? Anything I should be concerned about? Both carry a 1 year warranty.
nope.. no reason to pay extra for the retail.. especially if you dont plan on using their burning software (which I wouldnt suggest anyways)
Old 08-16-01, 07:35 PM
X
Administrator

Actually, my old Plextor came with some very good DAE/exact copy software. I don't know if you need to buy the retail version to use it though because they may have it on their website.

You might want to check if you can download a full version from them or only updates.
Old 08-16-01, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by X
Actually, my old Plextor came with some very good DAE/exact copy software. I don't know if you need to buy the retail version to use it though because they may have it on their website.

You might want to check if you can download a full version from them or only updates.
yep.. but if he ended up not getting the software.. he could always download clonecd for dae/exact copy.. and nero for everything else..
the money saved buying oem instead of retail.. should be enough to register at least one of those software titles
Old 08-17-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

from techbargains.com today

The best CDRW drive has a new rebate!
Buy.com has the 12x10x32 CD-Writer with burnproof for $149.95 - $15 coupon - $20 rebate = $114.95. (Add 0.05 to cart)

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.