Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How to send from non-default account in MS Outlook when using Word as email editor?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to send from non-default account in MS Outlook when using Word as email editor?

Old 08-14-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, in MS Outlook 2000, when you use the default email editor, you have the option to send from your default account by pressing send, or if you hit the down arrow beside the send button, you can send from one of your other email accounts. But if you use Word as your email editor, there is no arrow beside the send button. How do I send from a different account using Word as my email editor? Thanks

Last edited by shaun3000; 08-16-01 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-16-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bump
Old 08-16-01, 07:49 AM

Well I am using the XP version and on this there is an "accounts" button right next to the send button. That is where I can pick the account.
Old 08-16-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not there in 2000
Old 08-16-01, 06:26 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

I am using outlook 2000 here at the office with Word.
So when I am using Outlook, I can go View -> BCC Field and also the From field.

So I can write what I want in the From field.

And send from there. Not sure how it works outside the world of exchange servers...
Old 08-16-01, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, that don't work, either. I don't even have a BCC option in my view menu...
Old 08-16-01, 10:29 PM

How about is there a options button or maybe in one of the menus that the account can be set? In XP there is also a options button. I sorta remember that there was something like that in 2000. Also try right clicking on the letter and see if it is there.
Old 08-17-01, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only thing even close that I could find was under options. It has the option to have replies send to a certain email address... but I want to send from a certain account. Arghhhhh. Why make everything about using word for email so much better, but then not have the option to send from various accounts like the default editor lets you do? ARGHHHHHH
lol
Old 08-17-01, 09:35 AM

I wish I could offer more constructive advice, but all I can come up with is avoid using Outlook. Over 90% of virsus are written for MS products (mainly Outlook). The main reason Microsoft allow you to use Word to "enhance" your email anyway, is just to force their products more, thus creating a dependency on them.

I realize that no company is there to solely make us happy and our lives better, with the main objective being profit; nothing wrong with that. But few other companies have gone to the unethical (and possibly illegal) ends as Microsoft has.

To their credit, they have advanced computers to desktops everywhere; but they have chosen ease of use (and making money) over quality, functionality, and efficiency. If they really stood behind the quality and ease of use of their products, they wouldn't have to resort to monopolistic practices.

I refuse to endorse a company that uses blatant strategies to directly limit my choices as a consumer, such as restricting PC makers from putting competitive software on the computers at the factory. Sure, this seems like no big deal if you build your own system instead of buying Gateway or Dell, but the large market share has caused many software vendors to write for only Windows, thus still limiting my choices as a UNIX/Linux User.

Microsoft has now made Office the standard, and last time I checked, charged over $300 for an UPGRADE to Office. And for their XP software, I have read that you have to call in a configuration of your system to activate it, creating the potential for "Reduced Functionality Mode" if you decided to change your system.

And there's not enough time in the day to cite all the security flaws found in MS Software, a good portion of which are due to the open holes left open so MS Tech's can take control of your system for repairs/maintenance/software audit from a distance. And THEN, have the gall to say they come out with security patches quicker than the open source community ever could. Do you think MS will devulge a security hole in one of their products, if the main consumer doesnt know about it?

I'm sorry for the rant; this isn't directed at anyone except Microsoft. Just recently, a week long battle with a professor over the format of a submitted paper ended the other day. He asked us to submit it in Word, and I asked about submitting it in PDF, WordPerfect, or StarOffice because of my principle against MS. After an informal discussion with the department chair, I ended up having to use Word, which I hate. So I'm a bit frustrated and am in the middle of trying to petition to change the "Computing Requirements" here at UF.

Brian
Old 08-17-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh......... well, thanks for the advice...