Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Quick Question: Printer cables

Old 08-14-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quick Question: Printer cables

Local store is advertising printer cables for 5.99, well below the Bestbuy and walmart prices. (comparable to amazon, but i'll save 5.50 in shipping)

Thing is, they have USB and Parallel. My new printer is USB/parallel. My computer only has 2 USB ports. One of which is constantly used by my nomad.

Is there any benefit to getting USB over parallel, or parallel over USB? Besindes the fact that my parallel port is currently unused. Does one offer faster transfers? Better quality? ....? I doubt it makes much difference, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks

(mods, sorry, i know. wrong forum. but no one has been in the computer forum in months, and i just want the answer before i go shopping. move if you see fit. thanks.)
Old 08-14-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

either one is fine. Go with parallel if you are using your two usb ports alot. USB makes it easier to setup the printer but the speed is indentical.
Old 08-14-01, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett
either one is fine. Go with parallel if you are using your two usb ports alot. USB makes it easier to setup the printer but the speed is indentical.
USB can be more plug and play friendly...

If you only have 2 USB Ports, but want to use more USB Devices, you might want to look into a USB Hub. One that will allow you to connect anywhere from 4 to 8 USB Devices through a hub that connects to one of those USB Ports on the back of your PC.
Old 08-14-01, 12:32 PM

Hey mods, sorry about that. But my goal was to get a quick answer and i got it. thanks for moving it.

And thanks for the answers. I think i'll go with Parallel cause i'd like the USB open for a joystick i use occasionally.

Thanks guys.