Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I replace my 366 Celeron Chip with a faster one without any problems?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-14-01, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a 366 Celeron set-up. Is it possible to take that pentium chip out and replace it with a faster Celeron Chip (500-600) or maybe even a PIII chip? Any precautions I should be aware of if I do this.

I have no idea what mobo I have. Is this info on the Mobo itself? Or could I go through device manager or something to find out?

If it matters, I have a emachine set-up (I know, but it's been good to me) and I don't plan to overclock.

I'm doing little things to my cpu to half way keep up with technology till I decide to upgrade. Soon I'll add a new Hard Drive, new OS and more RAM Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-14-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

well...

i am no computer genius, but i was thinking of doing the same thing, except, upgrade from p3 450, into a p4 1.2ghz, my frend said it was not possible. just to let you know.
Old 08-14-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

SDSII, you might be able to go to a faster Celeron chip but I highly doubt you'll be able to make the leap to a P2 or P3. I doubt the motherboard in the e-machine was built to accept the various processors. If e-machines has a website you can probably put in your model # and find out what type of motherboard you have. I'm sure you can find the info. somewhere online. Then you would just look at the mb documentation to see what types and ranges of processors it can handle.

Mole: Your friend is correct. There's a lot of differences in the make-up between p3s and p4s. I don't know of any motherboard that's currently built to take either/or between those two.

ASUS makes quite a few boards that can hold any celeron, p2, or p3, however. Your best bet would be to possibly increase within the pentium 3 class. Again, you'd want to figure out what motherboard you had and what it can handle.
Old 08-14-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Going from a Celeron 366 to a faster Celeron or even a P3 is very often, but not always, possible. You need to check with the manufacturers of the computer or the motherboard.

The P3 and P4 use very different signalling buses, not to mention a different physical socket interface. An "upgrade" from the P3 to the P4 definitely requires at least a motherboard swap and probably new memory as well.
Old 08-14-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Can I replace my 366 Celeron Chip with a faster one without any problems?

Originally posted by SDSII
I have a 366 Celeron set-up. Is it possible to take that pentium chip out and replace it with a faster Celeron Chip (500-600) or maybe even a PIII chip? Any precautions I should be aware of if I do this.

I have no idea what mobo I have. Is this info on the Mobo itself? Or could I go through device manager or something to find out?

If it matters, I have a emachine set-up (I know, but it's been good to me) and I don't plan to overclock.

I'm doing little things to my cpu to half way keep up with technology till I decide to upgrade. Soon I'll add a new Hard Drive, new OS and more RAM Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
your problem will be many- first you will need to install a new power supply since the emachines use weak ones and it will almost certainly not hold up with newer power hungry components.

also the bios more than likely will not support much more than a p3 500 or 550 anyway since i think that was what emachine was building at the time. I doubt they spent anything on a better bios to support cpu's they were not even shipping.

the cases of the emachines are not really laid out for good cooling or to give you room to upgrade.

your best bet is to move to a whole new system and sell the emachine for what you can get( or just keep it as a backup)

you should be able to find deals on older p3's or even athlons which will be better systems and far more upgradable in the future.

Last edited by gcribbs; 08-14-01 at 02:14 PM.