Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

mcafee dat file problem?

Old 08-13-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
mcafee dat file problem?

I downloaded the 4153xdat.exe update the other day. Now IE crashes if I have mcafee running and at bootup I think the scan is crashing. I get a weird screen dump of hex values and I have to press a key to continue. I think the new dat file is messed up. Any ideas?
Old 08-14-01, 06:38 AM

You don't say which version you are running, so my first suggestion is to upgrade to the latest 5.xx version if you're running the consumer version, or 4.51 if you have the corporate version. Both can be helped by moving the instantiation string from the default registry key of

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices

to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The value you are moving is "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\VirusScan\Avsynmgr.exe"

This applies only to 9x/ME, 2k and XP run McAfee as a service only.

The other thing you might try is d/l'ing the latest SuprDat (sdat4153.exe) as the SuperDat not only updates the definitions, but will also update the scan engine to the latest version as well (4.0.140). the xdat only updates the definitions.
Old 08-14-01, 01:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: mcafee dat file problem?

Originally posted by mikehunt
I downloaded the 4153xdat.exe update the other day. Now IE crashes if I have mcafee running and at bootup I think the scan is crashing. I get a weird screen dump of hex values and I have to press a key to continue. I think the new dat file is messed up. Any ideas?

One of my users here has reported problems with the latest update. Backing out to the previous dat file seems to have taken care of his problems.
Old 08-14-01, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
thanks. I might reinstall it then update with the previous dat. Glad I keep the previous dat each time I download the new one.
I think I have version 4.something