Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I am haveing HUGE issues with my computer

Old 08-13-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am haveing HUGE issues with my computer

Ok...here's the deal.

I installed a CD-RW a while back, it worked fine for a bit...but would not read any audio CD's...even after it burned one. And now the computer does not read ANY cd's...data, burned audio..anything. And it does not notice a blank CD...

It DOES know the drive is there upon bootup, it says CD-RW found...blah blah blah... but then why would it not work? I can't even play Diablo or anything requiring a CD.

I am fearful of reformatting and startign frrom scratch due to the CD problems, and since I can
t back anything up, I don;t want to lose everything.

I have a feeling this may have something to do with my registry. Is there a program somewhere that will scan my computer and adjust the registry accordingly?

Or does anyone have any other thoughts on how I can fix it?
Old 08-13-01, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do they show up in device manager?

Are all the proper settings (DMA) checked?

If you want to try something with your registry, boot to MS-DOS. At the C:\WINDOWS prompt, type scanreg /fix and let it do its thing.

Did you jumper the drives correctly?

You have to go through a detailed process of elimination.

It may be something as simple as a loose IDE cable.
Old 08-13-01, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

tried a different brand of cdrs?

one of my old burners started out writing on any type of cdr/cdrw and would read any type of cdr/cdrw.. but as it got older, it grew much more picky about which brands it would read or write on.. verbatim was the only guarantee everytime brand i could find
Old 08-13-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jepthah
Do they show up in device manager?

Are all the proper settings (DMA) checked?

If you want to try something with your registry, boot to MS-DOS. At the C:\WINDOWS prompt, type scanreg /fix and let it do its thing.

Did you jumper the drives correctly?

You have to go through a detailed process of elimination.

It may be something as simple as a loose IDE cable.
Yeah, it shows up in the device manager and I have installed the proper drivers.

Not sure about the "proper DMA settings"... how would I check?

Yeah, it's set as a master drive, same as the one I took out and replaced this one with.

And I already checked the cables many times... and it's tight.

I'll try the scanreg thing tonite when I get home.

Thanks, keep the ideas flowing.
Old 08-13-01, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by twikoff
tried a different brand of cdrs?

one of my old burners started out writing on any type of cdr/cdrw and would read any type of cdr/cdrw.. but as it got older, it grew much more picky about which brands it would read or write on.. verbatim was the only guarantee everytime brand i could find
It's a brand new burner, I bought it at Xmas,, and it's a creative labs brand. And all the reviews I read on it were great. At first I had no problem with it...could it be a problem with Nero? I installed the version from the disc and it worked(slightly, still wouldn't read the audio CD's, or games) then when I upgraded it stopped working(sounds like a problem...but I an fearful of unistalling NERO becuase the drive doesn't work to install the old version again...)
Old 08-13-01, 11:44 AM

Sounds like a faulty drive. I had something similar happen with a DVD-ROM drive I bought. Took it home, installed it, then popped in the CD that came with it to install the DVD player software, but it wouldn't even read the CD. I tried a bunch of audio CDs, games, Windows CD, and it would not read any of them. I took the drive back and exchanged it...
Old 08-13-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well ****...I got it from Buy.com and more than likely I don;t have the receipt anymore. After I installed it and it worked I threw out the box and everything. Dammit.
Old 08-13-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My plextor setup is weird like that sometimes. The last two audio cds I've burned anyway. I popped them out of the burner and put them in the reader but it fails to recognize the cd. The disc plays fine in regular cd players and often if I retry the drive later. It's whacked.
Old 08-13-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
well ****...I got it from Buy.com and more than likely I don;t have the receipt anymore. After I installed it and it worked I threw out the box and everything. Dammit.
is it a current model that you can find in a B&m store?

if so i would buy a new one and see if you could return the old one in the new box. the vendor will get credit and you get a new working cdrw-

some boxes have serial numbers on them so it might not work.