Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Opera Browser

Old 08-11-01, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Opera Browser

has any tried running Opera as their browser. I'm interested in something knew since the decent browsers are run by the two most evil companies in the world AOL, & Microsoft.

any other suggestions?

www.opera.com
Old 08-11-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've used opera quite a bit, it's pretty good. I haven't gotten around to installing it again since I've reinstalled Win2k a few weeks ago. I did have occasional problems with the way it presented some pages, the formatting would be a bit screwed up. That might be bad coding on the page though.

Dave
Old 08-11-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not using the Opera browser. I am though using the Ricki Lake browser, and it covers the entire pages well.
Old 08-11-01, 03:35 PM

I started using it a couple months ago and I love it. Occasionaly I'll get a site that won't work correctly, and I'll have to use another browser (but that happened when I was using Netscape also). But it's got a great interface and seems to make better use of your screen. My favorite thing is the mouse gestures - I can press the right button and move my mouse a little left and the page goes back. Forward is right, down is stop, etc.

Anyway I'd suggest downloading the trial version (it has ads) to see how you like it.
Old 08-11-01, 08:00 PM

If use LINUX it's a great browser (possibly the best for that OS that I've used!) The MAC version is still pretty buggy, but is not suffering like Netscape 6 was out of the shoot.The MS WIN___ version works fine on my workstation but I find that when I use it as a text based non-img browser it smokes.
Since , as you can see, I use 3 different OS on a typical work day; I like that I have 1 browser that I can work with that's familiar to my brain. If they released the source code (like Mozilla) it would be perfect to me-but that seems to be a ways off.
Try the trial version.
Old 08-13-01, 08:23 AM

I've used Opera for years and am very loyal to it. Banking software is the only real problem I have had with it, and that is because of javascript errors, where web authors write with many errors that IE can overlook. That's why I keep IE around... but I rarely use it. I taught my gf to use it, and she loves it too, now. I use it mostly as a full text browser, loading pix as needed.

--Kris