Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Printer Help?

Old 08-10-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Printer Help?

I bought a printer for my parents, a couple of months ago. Now, I have tried installing the drivers for the printer and they seem to go smoothly.

Yet, every time I try to print, I get some missing dll. or cab file. I tried putting in a windows98 upgrade cd and nothing.

I looked on hp's website nothing.

Does anyone own the Hp V40 printer? That can help me with this.
Old 08-11-01, 08:08 AM

What is the missing file?
Old 08-11-01, 12:32 PM
Stealth Moderator

sorry for this less than helpful reply:

ditch windows 98 ... upgrade to windows 2000

while win2k has less hardward support, win98 too often gives errors like yours.

a more helpful reply:

try finding the missing file and adding just that to the proper directory. or remove then reinstall the printer.
Old 08-12-01, 07:26 AM

There's no need to change your OS for something like this. Quite a drastic step for a missing file! If you post what file it says you are missing, we will be able to help you better...
Old 08-12-01, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk God

did you load the drivers off the factory cd.. or did you download the drivers from HP's webpage?

If you havent gotten then off their website, I would try that.. those cds are sometimes damaged before you purchase, and the files arent always intact.. not to mention you can get newer drivers off their website
Old 08-12-01, 01:02 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by Mr_Shred
There's no need to change your OS for something like this. Quite a drastic step for a missing file!
My suggestion wasn't just for the missing file or just to get the printer working. It's a suggestion I give to everyone still using Win98.

Win98 sux. I support 1500 people in my department. About 50% use Win98. The other 50% use WinNT or Win2K. But 98% of the problems relating to computers freezing come from Win98 users.
Old 08-12-01, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it is something regarding the hpoid407.exe that is one thing that comes up. I have not idea since this is at my parents house. But it seems that Hp has been having several problems since they have more information on their website regarding this phenomenon.

They are also sayin that the communication between the usb cable and the computer and printer might be the problem. Then they have a whole trouble shooting guide for that one. The funniest part is that the computer is an HP. go figure eh.

Damn open box piece of junk. Oh well what do my parents want for free.

Thanks everyone for your help. I will see what is going on with that machine this coming weekend.
Old 08-13-01, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by namja

Win98 sux. I support 1500 people in my department. About 50% use Win98. The other 50% use WinNT or Win2K. But 98% of the problems relating to computers freezing come from Win98 users.
It depends on what you are using it for. Of course NT/2K is much better in a business environment. For the average home user, there is no need to shell out several hundred dollars for a new OS if all they do is send email, word processing, etc. And WinNT/2000 sucks for games. I use both, and have no problems with 98. I think more often than not, the problems stem from users poking around and changing things they shouldn't be. WinNT/2000 has less of this because of its security features...