Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Audiogalaxy/Cable Modem question

Old 08-08-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Audiogalaxy/Cable Modem question

I just started downloading music from www.audiogalaxy.com and my modem seems to always be in use, even when I'm logged off. I have a surfboard cable modem thru [email protected] The computer is running a little slower also. It's weird because everytime I'm done using audiogalaxy, I click on the short-cut icon on the bottom of my screen and log off of all of the programs...at least I think I do. I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give me on this. Thanks.
Old 08-09-01, 05:15 AM

When you install audiogalaxy another program is installed that runs in the background. I think it is called webhancer. Audiogalaxy mentions this in the fine print of the installation agreement. It is not needed to run Audiogalaxy and you should be able to remove it from add/remove programs.
Old 08-09-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I got rid of that webhancer, along with a gator and a bunch of other stuff after downloading adaware. The activity light on the modem is still flashing like crazy though. I've done a bunch of system checks and virus scans and everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what the deal is. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-10-01, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze
Yeah, I got rid of that webhancer, along with a gator and a bunch of other stuff after downloading adaware. The activity light on the modem is still flashing like crazy though. I've done a bunch of system checks and virus scans and everything seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what the deal is. Any more input would be greatly appreciated.
I just installed Audiogalaxy last week too. I downloaded that program that is supposed to remove the spyware, and ran it after I installed AG....but no references were found (?). My cable modem lights have been blinking non-stop since then.
Old 08-10-01, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by heimerSWT

I just installed Audiogalaxy last week too. I downloaded that program that is supposed to remove the spyware, and ran it after I installed AG....but no references were found (?). My cable modem lights have been blinking non-stop since then.
Has your computer been a little slower too? Mine is kind of slow. Not like 56K or anything, but a definite difference from my normal broadband connection. Any ideas?
Old 08-10-01, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Kaiser Soze

Has your computer been a little slower too? Mine is kind of slow. Not like 56K or anything, but a definite difference from my normal broadband connection. Any ideas?
Yes. I didn't really notice it until I rebooted...and that was several hours after I had installed the program (thinking back about it now). So, I didn't really think about Audiogalaxy being the culprit. But now I am pretty sure that these problems are here because of that program.
Old 08-10-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When installing a program, it is recommended to use one of those free utility programs that takes a snapshot of your system before and after the installation. The program then displays changes to your registry as well as DLL in your /system folders.

So, if new system DLL were added or replaced, the changes in file size would be detected. There is a freeware no-spyware program made by one of the zdnet editors, but I forgot where it was located for download.

If you are still wondering what I am talking about, an example of this genre of program is located
HERE
. This URL is not to the program that I recommended; it is only an example to show you what I am talking about.
Old 08-10-01, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FOLLOWUP:

Found the program that I mentioned earlier.

It is "InCtrl5". It monitors changes made by installation programs. So, if you see a new file or some of your system files changed (but Ad Aware doesn't alert you to those), then you know something else is going on.

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,77424,00.html

Source code is available for the above util.

Last edited by Startide; 08-10-01 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-10-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I downloaded that program above that you specified. That should definitely help me with future downloads. Thanks.

However, my PC is still running slow and the activity light is going crazy. I actually removed audiogalaxy entirely from my machine, thinking that was what was causing it. If it was causing it, there is something still running that was left behind from it. I honestly have no idea what it could be though. Any suggestions? I really appreciate all your help everbody.
Old 08-10-01, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read that AT&T cable internet service has been affected by the Code Red virus. Maybe that has something do with it. Anybody else out there think the same?