Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Scandisk/defrag Help Needed!

Old 08-07-01, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scandisk/defrag Help Needed!

I wanted to defrag my cpu so I began the process. Well about 10 minutes into it I get a pop up that says Windows cannot defrag this drive because it cannot acess part of the drive. To repair your drive click Scandisk and choose the Thourogh option and then try to defrag again.

So I do as instructed and begin scandisk w/the thourogh option and the repair option checked as well. Several minutes into that I get another pop up that says Scandisk has restarted 10 times because Windows or another program is writing to this drive. Quitting some running programs may enable scandisk to finish sooner. It asks if I want to continue to get the message and I click no. I let this run all night and some 10 hours after I started the scandisk was nowhere near completion.

So I canceled out and tried again. Only this time I searched through the help file and followed the instructions on closing out all programs except for explorer. I then restarted scandisk and at first it was doing fine, but within the hour I got the Scandisk has restarted... pop up again. I clicked that I didn't want to receive the message and it continued on it's scanning. After another 10 hours the screen froze and did not complete the task.

I'm sure there is something I'm not doing but I don't know what it is. I closed out all the programs and disabled my virus program as well. I also closed my screen saver and backdrop. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-01, 04:26 PM
X
Administrator

I don't use Win98 much, but a friend recently mentioned a problem he was having with something causing a disk defrag to keep having to restart due to some background program running even though he knew of none running. Hmm, maybe a virus?

Anyway, he attempted to do his defrag while in safe mode, which you might try with your scandisk, but he still had some kind of problem.
Old 08-07-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have Win 98 Se and I have the same problem, yes the safe mode works but the easiet way is to disable all the apps that work in the background and then do the defrag.It takes time if you did not do it for a long time, but each time it restarts it gets back to the point where it stopped vrey fast, so you dont loose much time.
Old 08-08-01, 08:52 AM

Two more items to disable:

Screen Savers
Virus Protection (Especially McAfee if you installed the ScreenScan component)
Old 08-08-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did disable the screen saver and my virus program the second time. I'm still not having much luck. I can run a standard scandisk check, just not a thorough one. Also, I am running Windows ME, maybe that makes a difference.
Old 08-08-01, 04:30 PM

I'm not sure if you're running a firewall or not, but if you are, you also need to disable that as well . I ran into this the first time I did a defrag when I got cable, and it puzzled me to no end until I asked someone about it (here as well, I believe!)

Otherwise, there must be something else running in the background - either way, a Safe-Mode defrag should work without a hitch.
Old 08-08-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've had that problem before. This is what I do: First, I disable the screensaver and virus scans. Then I bring up the "Close Program" box (Ctrl Alt Delete) and close everything except Explorer. Then I run ScanDisk and Defrag with no problems.
Old 08-08-01, 06:42 PM

Also I forgot to mention, as a better precaution, remove all PC cards or cables attached to the PC except the mouse and keyboard and the power.
Old 08-08-01, 06:50 PM
Uber Member

I don't want to reboot to find this out, but can't you still hit F8 on start up to get a start up menu and then select command line prompt with WinME?

If so, do that and run scandisk from the dos prompt. If not, then I'd try the Safe Mode stuff.

Also, are you sure you aren't infected as a virus?

-David
Old 08-08-01, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I did disable the screen saver and my virus program the second time. I'm still not having much luck. I can run a standard scandisk check, just not a thorough one. Also, I am running Windows ME, maybe that makes a difference.
Guess what I did today?

Yes I did get doggystyle today but not that silly.

I did a thorough scan disk. Took 4 hours! I am running windows me and this is what I did.

I restarted, the I continued pressing F8 to get selection. Picked "safemode". Did the thorough scan there. No errors. My PC seems to run fine. I also did not disconnect any cables, and I change the minute time screen saver to one hour. I turned off the monitor and watched tv for 3 hours, and spent one hour analyzing. EXHAUSTING.
Old 08-09-01, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried yesterday to check in the safemode to run scandisk and disk defrag. In safe mode. I started scan disk data area only first and ran it all day for 16 hours straight! It got to cluster 2,444,565 out of 2,999,347 but then it slowed way the heck down. Over the next 3 hours it only increased by 6,000 clusters. At this point I cancled scandisk.

I then went to disk defrag in safe mode. I tried the rearrange programs option first and then the check drive for errors second. Both gave me the windows cannot defrag pop up I wrote about in the first post.

I'm at a total loss. My virus program (Norton 2001 Virus software) run automatically after I leave the web. Plus it checks for updates once a week and downloads them. I'm sure since I can't complete this task in safe mode there is a deeper problem w/the cpu.

I'm not comfortable running scandisk in DOS mode. If my cpu is infected w/a virus or if it's a software problem, my warranty and product replacement plan doesn't cover those.

Blade, you can hit f8 in start up to take you to safe mode, or when you get to the start up menu you can hit f5 to go to safe mode also. At least in Win ME.
Old 08-09-01, 10:51 AM

i m not sure that this is the cause but u should check it anyway in the bios setup u should disable virus protection in books they say that could give problems but i never had problems using the defragmenter with this function enabled but u could try it anyway
Old 08-09-01, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go here:
http://www.diskeeper.co.uk/

Download their free 30 day trial version of Disk Keeper.

See it that will defrag you. If it won't, then decide there are bigger problems. If it works, then MS defrag might be the one with the problem.
Old 08-09-01, 12:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

What Goblincat said.

(I prepared a similar message yesterday - suggesting that trying an alternative defragmenter might indicate if the M$ program was at fault - but IE crashedon me and I didn't log on again until now).

I was also curious as to why so many folks were advising POWERBOMB to do things he said he'd done in his first and second posts....
Old 08-09-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Goblincat I'm about to dl that now.

benedict, I don't mind anyone repeating what I had already typed. I was able to double and triple check myself to make sure I didn't miss something. Sometimes people just read the most current post w/out reading the whole thread.
Old 08-11-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay here's an update. I bought Norton Utilities 2001 to run and check my system. According to the program my hard drive is mis-confirgured after failing the drive configuration check. It states that my hard drive is 68% fragmented. I'm assuming this is a bad thing.

Either way, it says that the drive may have partitioned incorrectly or the BIOS may have been set up incorrectly.

Can someone break this down in english?
Old 08-12-01, 02:38 PM

Powerbomb, have you tried entering "Q218160" into the search box on the homepage search box of HERE? Benedict, you might find the URL of amusement. It will bring up a list of related items on this topic.

If that doesn't work because you are using a MS product, then simply go to www.microsoft.com and enter the Q-code in the search box.

Last edited by Startide; 08-12-01 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-12-01, 02:50 PM

FOLLOWUP

Anyways, you might try IBM's freeware hard drive tools instead of Norton. They are free. I am not sure if they work with non-IBM drives as the only drives I've ever used it on are IBM travelstar and deskstars.

HERE

The above IBM site has freeware hard drive tools that make use of the S.M.A.R.T. feature of hard drives. After all, it was IBM that invented this protocol and software in the beginning. Some of IBM's software does support SCSI drives. There are also drive fitness analyzers that can help you adjust some of the internal parameters in the hard drive to reduce hard drive noise, evaluate failures, estimate drive lifespan, etcetera.

You can also freely download a version of ONTRACK software. I don't know how this free version compares to the regular Ontrack software, but it is free. Give it a whack.

If you like the IBM utilities, be sure to give them feedback so that they can improve the utilities or add features that you want or would find useful. Maybe if you suggest that IBM make a freeware standalone temperature display, they will do so.....
Old 08-12-01, 02:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

The knowledge base article was interesting, although I had to enter the number in the advanced search function. I'm not sure that you can get those "raw" URLs to resolve down to a subdirectory. The closest I got to (as a reluctant M$ user) was http://207.46.230.218/ by entering the posted URL into the relevant box at samspade.org.

Last edited by benedict; 08-12-01 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-12-01, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Startide, thanks for the link, but those solutions were for Win 98 and I'm using Win ME. However, I am looking around that site for any help I can find.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Your hard drive isn't out of space is it? The only time I've seen a drive that fragmented was because it was 99% full. Just a thought.
Old 08-15-01, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GoVegan, I feel as though this cpu is driving me out of my mind. I went on the advice of a tech at a retailer and tried to use my recovery disks. I formatted the hard drive and began recovery when I got a warning that my drive was damaged.

So now I am going to format the drive again and take it in to be sent to service. I will be w/out access to a cpu for about 3 weeks or more.

Course, if that doesn't work I can always the CPU!

Old 08-20-01, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Defragging ...

The default Windows defrag program is the proverbial 98lb weakling of defragging. Many times it cannot run properly unless you close down ALL non-essential programs foreground or background. Ctrl-Alt-Del and get rid of everything except for Explorer and maybe Systray.

Typical problems include infinite loop restarting of defrag program and "too many processes" message.

Do yourself a favor and download VoptMe from www.goldenbow.com

Diskeeper is good too. O&O defrag is another good one.