Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WTF is thumbs.db?

Old 08-07-01, 11:20 AM

WTF is thumbs.db?

Each month I burn the previous month's digital photos onto two backup CDs. The other day, I burned the July 2001 folder onto the CD-Rs and noticed that there was a hidden file included. I chose to view the hidden files and there was this file called "thumbs.db". Anyone know what this is? I went back and checked the folder on my hard drive and there are no hidden files present - it only shows up when I put the folder into the CD layout. This has not happened in any previous month's folders when I burned them.

FYI, I have a Dell Dimension 4100 and am running Adaptec Easy CD Creator 5.0 when I burn the CDs.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-01, 11:39 AM

How big is the file? "db" would most likely stand for database. Perhaps it's thumbnail database?
Old 08-07-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think that "thumbs.db" is just a Windows file.

I use Windows 98, and if I have a folder with pictures in it and change the properties to "thumbnail view", it creates a small file in the folder to facilitate that. And I think that it is called "thumbs.db"
Old 08-07-01, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is the file which stores the thumbnail views of the images you have in that directory. You can delete it, but if you choose Thumbnail View again, it will be recreated, and Explorer will take longer to display the thumbs, because it has to recreate all of the mini versions of the pictures.
Old 08-08-01, 06:31 AM

Thanks guys! I remember my wife switching "My Computer" to show thumbnail views for that folder under Windows Me. That must be it.