Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking for a Shutdown Program

Old 08-06-01, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking for a Shutdown Program

I'm not sure, but I think I used to have something like this...now that I could actually use one, I can't find one!

Anyway - here's the situation...I've finally got enough computers that I've been able to relegate my old PIII-450 to my son (turns 3 in November). He's actually become quite adept at firing it up, and launching the games that he wants to play. (I've installed them through a cd emulator program, that copies the cds to the hard drive - his handling of media still leaves a little bit to be desired!) My problem is - when he's done playing, he simply turns the computer and monitor off. Trying to explain a shutdown procedure to a 2-year-old can be difficult. I think that if I could find a simple program where he can click on an icon, and it brings the PC down (with no "are you sure? or reboot? questions) he'd be able to manage it.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-07-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know that you can make a a link to a windows command that will shutdown. That is probably what you want. I did a quick search of my tool tips but couldn't it. You could also teach him how to push ALT-F4 a bunch of times. That does the trick too
Old 08-07-01, 12:31 AM
X
Administrator

Check out Tucows. There are lots of fast shutdown programs. I just haven't had much luck with them depending on what happens to be running when you invoke them.
Old 08-07-01, 02:44 AM
Stealth Moderator

Never used these, but found them from c|net. Both are freeware.

Active Shutdown
Shutdown
Old 08-08-01, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I shall check these out - thanks!
Old 08-09-01, 01:34 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now what would be the fun in that?

do this: (this was copied from another person's "helpful hints" site.)

First, create a new shortcut and add C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE User,ExitWindows to the command line. Name, save and store the shortcut in an easily accessible location (your QuickLaunch bar is a good place if you have Windows 98 or IE4's Desktop Update). When you launch the shortcut in the future, Windows will shut down, no questions asked. (If an application is open, you will be asked if you want to save any open files.)

--HN