Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WinDVD 3.0 DTS Impressions

Old 08-04-01, 05:03 PM

WinDVD 3.0 DTS Impressions

I can't say enough good things about the DTS support in WinDVD 3.0. First off I have a SB Live! Platinum and Klipsch Promedia V2-400 speakers. When I got WinDVD3 I tested out Gladiator. I watched the opening battle, the battle in chains and the battle of Carthage (chariot battle) all back to back, the DTS right before the Dolby. There is simply no comparison, the DTS sounds richer and fuller in every aspect, the surround channels are used more aggresively and accurately, subwoofer hits were more powerful and deepened the mood of the movie. I remember being extremely impressed when I first got Gladiator, I was watching the Dolby version and was amazed at how good the mix was, one of the best to date. Compared to the DTS version, the Dolby sounds staged and two dimensional. The Dolby just sounds too light and tinny to do full justice to the carnage in this movie. For example, in the battle in chains scene, when the gladiators just get out of the cage and the first one gets hit in the head with the mace. It's the same effect in both the Dolby and the DTS but in the Dolby it sounds like someone smacked a piece of meat while in the DTS it sounds like a powerful, skull cracking bash to the head.

Of course the difference isn't as prominant on some DTS/Dolby discs. With Terminator 2 and American Beauty the difference is barely noticable, the only real difference I could notice on those is some stronger bass on a few scenes. Nothing that will change the whole experience like with Gladiator. The Gladiator DTS track held the biggest improvement over the Dolby but there were a few others that were quite superior. Seven and The Mummy both have excellent DTS tracks, the difference isn't noticable 100% of the time like with Gladiator but it's certainly present in the scenes with surround envelopement and low bass extensions.

Overall DTS makes everything sound richer, fuller, more powerful, more real and just flat out better. I plan on renting The Bone Collector again and borrowing my friend's DTS copies of Saving Private Ryan and Jurassic Park to try them out. A good DTS audio track has now become a heavy purchasing consideration in future additions to my DVD collection. Intervideo has pulled far ahead of the competition with this incredible breakthrough in software DVD players, I'll be using WinDVD 3.0 exclusively until someone else comes out with a better player with DTS decoding capabilities.
Old 08-06-01, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What actually decodes the DTS sound, the software?
Old 08-06-01, 10:18 AM

I just use whatever version of Windvd that came bundled with my Sony dvd-rom drive (2.x or something). It passes both DD and DTS through the digital out of my Turtle Beach card, into a real DTS receiver (alternate between JVC and Denon), driving regular speakers. I like it too.

One thing I'm quite ignorant about is what factors affect video quality. My system is a Dell 733 PIII, 128 meg ram, video is nVidia TNT2 1024x768, 32k colors, 60 hz refresh (required due to major powerlines over my house that make screen jitter at higher rates). The video is very smooth, but looks blocky when full screen (17" monitor). I've never tried hooking a projector up to it, but assume it will be the same. How do I correct this?
Old 08-06-01, 11:08 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by MichaelBlanton
One thing I'm quite ignorant about is what factors affect video quality. My system is a Dell 733 PIII, 128 meg ram, video is nVidia TNT2 1024x768, 32k colors, 60 hz refresh (required due to major powerlines over my house that make screen jitter at higher rates). The video is very smooth, but looks blocky when full screen (17" monitor). I've never tried hooking a projector up to it, but assume it will be the same. How do I correct this?
You might try using more colors, 64K or, preferably, 16 million if your card can handle it.
Old 08-06-01, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Snowball:
What actually decodes the DTS sound, the software?
Yes, WinDVD 3.0 actually decodes the sound, no external decoder needed.

Orignally posted by MichaelBlanton:
I just use whatever version of Windvd that came bundled with my Sony dvd-rom drive (2.x or something). It passes both DD and DTS through the digital out of my Turtle Beach card, into a real DTS receiver (alternate between JVC and Denon), driving regular speakers. I like it too.

Yeah, up untill now that's been the only way to go if you want DTS sound on a PC. Pretty expensive and it doesn't work well with most analog PC speakers, such as the Klipsch Promedia's.
Old 08-06-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Predator911
Yes, WinDVD 3.0 actually decodes the sound, no external decoder needed.
And it sends it out via your sound card? Do you need the SB Live! Platinum for it to work?
Old 08-06-01, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Snowball:
And it sends it out via your sound card? Do you need the SB Live! Platinum for it to work?
The decoded signal is sent out through your soundcard's selected ports. The multi-channel version supports 2, 4 and 6 (5.1) channel analog output as well as digital S/PDIF output. You don't need an SB Live to use it but you'll need a multi-channel soundcard and at least 4 speakers to get true surround sound. If you've ever used a software DVD player before, you'll have no trouble using DTS with WinDVD 3.0, just select DTS sound from the audio menu on DTS DVDs.
Old 08-06-01, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by MichaelBlanton

I am having the exact same problem on my Dell 733 PIII, 128 meg ram laptop w/ a 14 inch screen. People look horrible when I try to watch movies full screen, the pixelation is unbearable. What can I do? How do I use 16 million colors?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 08-07-01, 09:00 AM

Last night I did the following: 1) set video for maximum colors ('true' color from 'high' color) 2) reinstalled Windvd 2.1 3) Installed ver 2.8 patch 4) Installed dvdgenie.

Not sure what part did what, but full screen movies are SWEET. No noticeable pixelation or jagged edges on even slight diagonal lines.

VASB, there are several ways to set color depth. Quickest is to right click on the desktop and select Properties...Settings.

BTW--as far as the DTS sound goes, my JVC 6010 receiver was like $175 delivered from ubid. I'm using old speakers, but even if I didn't have them I would probable get the cheap JBL Northridge setup for $250 or whatever...That's less than $450 for a "real" (but yes, low end) ht surround setup (no sub). That's not that expensive considering the advantages you get over a tiny pc-only based setup. I've never really understood the fuss made over 5.1 sound out of a sound card into little desktop speakers...