Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I have an insane computer problem

Old 08-04-01, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an insane computer problem

I have an ABIT VT6X4 motherboard with a PII 450 processor and 512 MB of ram. The other day Windows ME crashed and burned, so I reinstalled Windows 98SE. Now the computer won't go past the memory testing stage, it tests the memory and then just sits there, but here is the weird part, it will go to the next level (showing me the bios name and version number) IF I hold in the power button for 3 seconds. Then it will let be go into bios setup and change settings, but then it won't let me save the settings, it just sits there. Can anyone in here HELP!
Old 08-04-01, 02:43 PM
Banned

Moving to Computer & DVD-Rom Forum . . .
Old 08-04-01, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I have an insane computer problem

Originally posted by Demontooth
I have an ABIT VT6X4 motherboard with a PII 450 processor and 512 MB of ram. The other day Windows ME crashed and burned, so I reinstalled Windows 98SE. Now the computer won't go past the memory testing stage, it tests the memory and then just sits there, but here is the weird part, it will go to the next level (showing me the bios name and version number) IF I hold in the power button for 3 seconds. Then it will let be go into bios setup and change settings, but then it won't let me save the settings, it just sits there. Can anyone in here HELP!
This has nothing to do with Windows all this stuff is happening before Windows starts to load. YOu can do a few things.

1) In the Bios turn off the memory check. Sometimes you have to enable fast memory check.

or

2) you may have a bad memory chip which might have been the cause of your ME crash. If you have more than one memory chip remove all except one. Run machine for a day or so then add the next. Keep doing this a chip at a time you might find you have a bad chip that may need replacing.

Good luck
Old 08-04-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: I have an insane computer problem

Originally posted by TheGuy

This has nothing to do with Windows all this stuff is happening before Windows starts to load. YOu can do a few things.

1) In the Bios turn off the memory check. Sometimes you have to enable fast memory check.

or

2) you may have a bad memory chip which might have been the cause of your ME crash. If you have more than one memory chip remove all except one. Run machine for a day or so then add the next. Keep doing this a chip at a time you might find you have a bad chip that may need replacing.

Good luck
It won't power up at all now. Nothing. I am off to buy a power supply. Maybe that is the problem.
Old 08-04-01, 07:22 PM

Do you hear fans running? If not then yeah maybe a ps will fix it. If you hear fans, then you may need to replace the battery on the Mobo. I've had this happen to me on different computers.
Old 08-05-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loose power connection and bad memory stick. And some gray in my beard
Old 08-05-01, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Demontooth
Loose power connection and bad memory stick. And some gray in my beard
How much gray did this cost you?