Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Problem: USB devices do not like each other...

Old 08-01-01, 09:59 PM
Banned

Problem: USB devices do not like each other...

I'm trying to fix a friend's computer, and here is the problem:

she's got a DSL modem and an Acer Burner that are both USB. When the burner is in alone, no problem. When the modem is in alone, no problem. When they're in together, the modem doesn't work.

Any ideas? Drivers say they're working fine.
Old 08-01-01, 11:13 PM

Well, it can't hurt to offer these suggestions, but I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

On Windows 98, sometimes there's a bug where it won't detect a USB device. I think this is the Microsoft page on how to solve it.

Maybe her power supply isn't enough?

Also, does she have a USB hub? Sometimes they need to be powered when some devices are plugged into them.

Again, I claim I don't know what I'm talking about, so take my suggestions at your own risk! :-)
Old 08-02-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Problem: USB devices do not like each other...

Originally posted by matta
I'm trying to fix a friend's computer, and here is the problem:

she's got a DSL modem and an Acer Burner that are both USB. When the burner is in alone, no problem. When the modem is in alone, no problem. When they're in together, the modem doesn't work.

Any ideas? Drivers say they're working fine.
first how are they plugged in- are you using two usb ports on the back of the computer?

are you using a hub?

suggestion: try what was suggested earlier- get or borrow a powered usb hub and try them with that. if it works maybe your power supply or mother board could not provide enough power to run them both at the same time.
Old 08-02-01, 12:58 AM
Stealth Moderator

Re: Re: Problem: USB devices do not like each other...

Originally posted by gcribbs
get or borrow a powered usb hub and try them with that. if it works maybe your power supply or mother board could not provide enough power to run them both at the same time.
yes. even if you are not currently using a hub, try this. it's quite possible that your usb port (whether in a hub or 'built-in' to your computer) is not providing enough power for both devices.
Old 08-02-01, 08:16 PM
Banned

yeah, i told them it was probably that there wasnt enough power to run both devices at once. Oh well. Thanks for the advice guys.

As for Windows not detecting the devices, it does detect them and displays them both in the hardware profile.