Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows Media Player taking over...help?

Old 08-01-01, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Windows Media Player taking over...help?

My windows media player updated itself the other day. Since I've had the nasty problem of it trying to auto play all my audio cds. I checked in the options and formats and made sure that audio cds weren't checked. They weren't but it still seems to think it needs control of that format.

How do I resolve this annoying problem? I'd really rather it be that nothing auto plays my audio cds.
Old 08-01-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
sorry can't help you, but this is why I haven't let media player update itself since I installed win98.
Old 08-01-01, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mikehunt
sorry can't help you, but this is why I haven't let media player update itself since I installed win98.
damn_wmp
Old 08-01-01, 04:15 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

try this:
open a windows explorer (not internet explorer) window and open "folder options" (should be under "tools" or "view" tab). In folder options, there should be a tab for "file types." In "file types" look for the audio cd file type (.cda). click on that and then edit it to "open with" whatever program you want or had it at before.

I'm on a win2k machine right now so where things are located may be a bit different. I'll be on my 98 machine in a bit if you haven't been able to fix the problem with the above description.

--HN
Old 08-01-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Windows Media Player taking over...help?

Originally posted by Alyoshka
My windows media player updated itself the other day. Since I've had the nasty problem of it trying to auto play all my audio cds. I checked in the options and formats and made sure that audio cds weren't checked. They weren't but it still seems to think it needs control of that format.

How do I resolve this annoying problem? I'd really rather it be that nothing auto plays my audio cds.
There ARE options to disable the updating feature. You're talking about Windows Media 7 right? There are options. Please look carefully.

Open your player..go to "tools" then options. There is is right there.
Old 08-02-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Windows Media Player taking over...help?

Originally posted by Pestilence

There ARE options to disable the updating feature. You're talking about Windows Media 7 right? There are options. Please look carefully.

Open your player..go to "tools" then options. There is is right there.
Well, normally I don't mind automatically updating software if it's from a company I trust. I just wasn't aware that it would change some of my options and make it my default cd audio player, which it did. I'm trying to figure out how to shelve that takeover.
Old 08-02-01, 11:38 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Method i posted above didn't work?

--HN
Old 08-02-01, 11:48 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by HN
Method i posted above didn't work?
it should.

or :

(1) insert cd
(2) when WMP opens, close it.
(3) go to my computers
(4) right click on the cd drive and hit explore
(5) while holding shift, right click on a track and choose "open with"
(6) find the cdplayer (i think in c:\windows directory or somewhere)
(7) click on "always use this program to open this file type" or something like that.

ta ta
Old 08-03-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HN and Namja -- great job! It is now working smoothly. Hopefully this will never happen again, but if it does then I'll get it changed. The problem I ran into was that there was no open with association in the explorer. That threw me because for some reason it wasn't showing that cd audio was associated with the WMP. Now, Winamp is opening them which is fine with me.