Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can someone help me with my computer?

Old 07-30-01, 05:49 PM

Can someone help me with my computer?

A couple of days ago, my computer started acting up. When I right click a link to open in a new window, it takes a long time. I was worried about a virus but I've scanned with both Norton and McAfee and both say the computer is clean. I also went to the link to scan for SirCam and that said it wasn't present either. When I tried to scandisk it said it had started over 10 times and that I should close all programs because windows or another program was writing to that drive. This sounds just like what happened when I had a worm before. Today I added memory and now it doesn't recognize my CD-RW drive or my DVD rom. What can I do? I can't lose everything on my computer again. Could it be something besides a virus? I would appreciate any help; I'm really desperate.

Edit: Ok, I screwed up. I made the two drives not work. When I added my memory I had to unplug my hard drive to get the memory in and apparently I plugged the wrong end back into it when I put it back. There were two ends that were attached and of course, I chose the wrong one. Both CD-RW and DVD drives are now working. I also did what was suggested in another thread and downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus program and it found that Norton had two viruses in quarantine even though my Norton was showing nothing in quarantine. I had it fix it and now everything is running well. BTW, I tried McAfee, PC Housecalls, & Norton and none of them told me that. Thanks for all the help!
Laura

Last edited by megashopper; 07-31-01 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-30-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try running scandisk in dos mode. When you start the computer, start pushing the F8 key during the bios screen until a dos menu appears. Start at the dos prompt and run scandisk there. After you run scandisk then run defrag. Then let me know what happens. Good Luck.
Old 07-30-01, 10:24 PM

When I push F8 at startup, it asks if I want to start Windows ME in Normal Mode, Safe Mode, and two other choices. Nothing that says anything about starting in dos. Should I make one of those other choices?
Old 07-30-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Start it up in safe mode and run your scandisk from there. Your screen will be all funky looking in safe mode but that is normal.
Old 07-30-01, 11:09 PM

It did run a scandisk in safe mode, but then when it restarted I got the message "NAV Auto-Protect Unable to initialize the virus scanning engine database files." It said I needed to reinstall Norton Anti-Virus which I can't do because it doesn't recognize that I have a CD or DVD drive. This is very frustrating.
Old 07-30-01, 11:17 PM

If the drive was working fine before the "funkiness" started, you may have a virus. I had a similar virus last year, the bugger went and changed the registry settings so that the RUN command looked for a dummy executeable. It also removed my floppy and CD drives, thus removing the ability to reinstall any anti-virus software via autorun. I would give the computer manufacturer a call (assuming you are under a warranty blaket).
Old 07-31-01, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

personally i would reinstall win me

you will lose everything but it will also overwrite any virus files.

also you can try to save any important files by moving them to a floppy. just make sure you have a new virus file and check them before using them

good luck
Old 07-31-01, 10:32 AM

How can I reinstall Win ME when it won't recognize my CD or DVD drive? I tried going to add new hardware and it said there wasn't any. I don't know how else to make it recognize those drives again.
Old 07-31-01, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Odd, I've had a similar experience with Win2K. Everything else runs fine, and I've just done a complete reinstall thanks to the sale at BB on 30 gig drives. The right click menu in IE comes up 2-3 seconds after hitting it. It was doing it for a few months prior to the clean install, and was doing it right after the new install. I'm thinking it is some sort of software conflict with something else I use. Just not sure what...
Edit: No loss of drives on mine..
Dave