Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need Suggestions for buying a PC

Old 07-30-01, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need Suggestions for buying a PC

Alright, Im going back to school in the fall and need a new computer. I have a $1000 to spend for a computer,moniter and printer.

I have never bought one before because I always just got my parents or friends older computers, so I need some help.

I would like at least 800mHz, around 200 megs ram, and cd-burner. Im not into gaming, so I wont need anything special for a video card.

Should I get a name brand unit like Dell or Compaq or should I go with a smaller company that I choose the compents and they build it? If the latter option, what components are good?

Or could I build one myself. Im not that knowledeable about computer components (although I know more than most people - which isnt that much).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by nizzo; 07-30-01 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-30-01, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Need Suggestions for buying a PC

Originally posted by nizzo
Should I get a name brand unit like Dell or Compaq or should I go with a smaller company that I choose the compents and they build it? If the latter option, what components are good?

Or could I build one myself. Im not that knowledeable about computer components (although I know more than most people - which isnt that much).
If you aren't that knowledgeable, then I'd suggest getting a Dell. They are excellent machines and you'd be hard pressed to save money building one yourself. You really only build machines for yourself if you want the experience or are really picky about the parts that you want to pick them yourself (like me).
Old 07-30-01, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Something like this sounds perfect for you

http://outlet.dell.com/Dispatcher?ta...MRDTD3G1RTAJCQ

Just add a monitor and no do not get a Dell Monitor, get a viewsonic from some other onlne discounter. Dell makes most of their profit on the monitors and they are good, but not worth the money.

or look at this link and choose the $751 - $1000 link and look around.

http://outlet.dell.com/Dispatcher?ta...rcDetail=offer

I tried to to price you a new Dimension L with everything you needed and it was almost $1100. So going with a Dell you would need to purchase from the outlet links above to hit your price point. If you can go $1200 then go with an L from the regular store. There is no real disadvantage in buying from theoutlet link other than specific configuration is limited.

Build your own or local store only if you have time to deal with it.
Old 07-30-01, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 4KRG
Something like this sounds perfect for you

Wow, thanks for the help. I will definitely check out some of these computers. Are these refurbs? If so, are they still good? Thanks again.
Old 07-30-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you don't mind refurbs, check out ubid.com for some amazing deals sometimes on computers which are in good shape.
Old 07-30-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

fyi, it might be worth checking the new dells and not just the refurbs. they are offering free shipping and either a rebate or a burner. check out the small business area (sometimes there are better deals there and no rebate required..)
Old 07-31-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nizzo

Wow, thanks for the help. I will definitely check out some of these computers. Are these refurbs? If so, are they still good? Thanks again.
Some are refurnbs, some are cancelled orders that were retunred back to dell. some people just decided they didn't like so they returned.

All have the same Dell warranty and support, all are in perfect working order when they leave the factory.

With a $1000 budget this is the best way to go.
Old 07-31-01, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

also check pricewatch.com
you can get much better then 800mhz for under 1000.. one of the guys here at work just bought a 1ghz system, 256mb sdram, 30 gig hd, etc.. for 475 shipped off pricewatch.. and that was a month ago.. havent checked current prices.. doing it this way, you give up the great service and support that comes with a dealer like dell, but get alot more computer for the money.. its definitly a trade off.. but this is another option besides buying from dell or building yourself