Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

With WinME how much RAM is too much?

Old 07-30-01, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

With WinME how much RAM is too much?

I was talking to some people about my PC, and they told me I should add some more RAM to it, to make it even faster.

Well,the problem is, I heard WinME bottlenecks at around 128MB of RAM,and anything after that is pretty much useless to me.

FWIW, I'm running a Duron 800mHz, 312MB of RAM, 60 gig 7200RPM HD.

I use the PC for
1)AIM
2)ICQ
3)Photoshop 6
4)Internet
5)Email
6)Word Processing
7)Net Meeting

So, would the $60 be better spent on a nice new DVD box set, or another stick of 256MB RAM?

Thank
Old 07-30-01, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, going from 128mb to 256mb on Windows ME would yield only margional gains in performance. Anything over that is pretty much useless. With Windows 2000/XP, I suppose that perhaps going to 512mb might be useful - maybe.

Just curious, what combination gives you 312mb?
Old 07-30-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No such thing as too much. With memory cheap you can buy a lot, but the question is when doesn't it help anymore. Anything around 256 is more than enough unless you do video work.
Old 07-30-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 64MB that came with it, and the 256 I added
Old 07-30-01, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thunderball
The 64MB that came with it, and the 256 I added
64+256 = 320mb. Not 312mb.
Old 07-30-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Snowball

64+256 = 320mb. Not 312mb.
Yeah, but when I boot it up it says 312..interestesting..
Old 07-30-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fisherman
No such thing as too much. With memory cheap you can buy a lot, but the question is when doesn't it help anymore. Anything around 256 is more than enough unless you do video work.
Sure, but what still puzzles me is why Windows uses a swap file when there is free physical RAM... if you had 1024mb of RAM, Windows would still use a swap file. Why?
Old 07-30-01, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, but when I boot it up it says 312..interestesting..
Make sure you're converting between KB and MB correctly..
Old 07-30-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

win me will handle up to 512mb
after that, you need to make adjustments to the vcache or you will have problems

on the same now.. win me also has large memory leaks.. so the more memory you put in, the bigger the leaks will be.. meaning less gain for the increased ram..
Old 07-30-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Make sure you're converting between KB and MB correctly..
I d unno, all I know is whenI go to My Computer --> Properties it shows 312MB *shrugs*.

I think I'll stay with what I have. Screw Windows.
Old 07-30-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I d unno, all I know is whenI go to My Computer --> Properties it shows 312MB *shrugs*.
Ahh.. thats interesting...odd. I don't have a clue, unless for some reason there's a defect in one of your sticks...

If you were really curious, I'd boot up with them individually (take one out and then the other) and see what Windows reports.
Old 07-30-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, but what still puzzles me is why Windows uses a swap file when there is free physical RAM... if you had 1024mb of RAM, Windows would still use a swap file. Why?
Cause it's Windows. You're not supposed to ask questions, you just have to take it and if you don't like it then you buy an upgrade to XP. It's called a monopoly!

Old 07-30-01, 06:14 PM

maybe 8mb of the available memory is reserved for video?
Old 07-31-01, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DonkeyKong
maybe 8mb of the available memory is reserved for video?
You hit the nail right on the head man....I just realized that I have an 8MB video card that takes it's power from the RAM.. thanks!
Old 07-31-01, 10:13 AM

If you really want to know how your pc is using memory then under system tools open system monitor and add swapfile in use and unused physical memory. Open up diffrent programs you use and see how windows handles your available ram.

Windows was programed by MS to use swapfile as default. You can edit your registry to use ram first without having to completely disable your swapfile, but you must edit your registry.

I'm not 100% sure about winme, but for win98 you just go to your run command under the start button and run your system.ini file.

Under [386Enh] type ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1 with a blank line after like this:

[386Enh]
ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

ebios=*ebiosebios=*ebios

(right under the [386Enh] type the line then leave a blank line right after what you typed in.

After doing this, open system monitor and you'll probably notice that you rarely use more then 130 mb of ram (on my two computers win98 uses about 100mb just for boot up) with a lot of programs running.

For the programsy you have listed only photoshop would push ram usage above this, and only for large files. After this the swapfile would be good enough.

One note, after 512mb Win98 can't handle more memory reliably. I'm not sure about winME, but unless you handle really big files often enough to justify buying more ram and an os to handle the ram, you don't need more ram.
Old 07-31-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by daledude

One note, after 512mb Win98 can't handle more memory reliably. I'm not sure about winME, but unless you handle really big files often enough to justify buying more ram and an os to handle the ram, you don't need more ram.
this is the same limitation with win98 and winme.. but you can go past 512 on both of them, if you edit your vcache

that being said.. if MS doesnt plan to fix the horrible memory leaks in win me.. then it doesnt matter how much ram you put in.. its not going to help.. stick with 98