Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where I can download an earlier version of realplayer?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-27-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I need it to play a bunch of videos I have, but RP8 is terrible. It's a total memory hog, and very invasive, which I absolutely detest.
Old 07-29-01, 11:44 PM

ANYONE?
Old 07-30-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What I would do is search the name and version in the search engines. A lot of old ftp servers have them sitting there. Best of luck.
Old 08-01-01, 02:33 AM

If you have a Win98 CD around it has some version of it (maybe 4 or 5). God I hate Real Player. I wish all websites would wise up and use some sort of half decent format. If your complaints about resources stem from the fact that Real Player runs in the background all the time, you can disable it when it's not in use. I think this can be done through RP itself, but if it can't you can always go to the run prompt in the start menu and type "msconfig" and disable it under the Startup tab. Good Luck.
Old 08-01-01, 11:41 AM
Stealth Moderator

Re: Anyone know where I can download an earlier version of realplayer?

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
I need it to play a bunch of videos I have, but RP8 is terrible. It's a total memory hog, and very invasive, which I absolutely detest.
1. When you download RP8, choose the Minimum option.
2. Uncheck everything in the download process (sometimes you have to scroll down and uncheck stuff).
3. After installing, go to Preferences and disable StartCenter.

RP will take up no/little memory and will be less invasive. In general, it's often the media itself that is bad, not the player.
Old 08-03-01, 12:45 PM
uf0

Re: Anyone know where I can download an earlier version of realplayer?

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Yup, I know *exactly* what you mean. It's a horrible software but lots of places insist on using their format anyway. I've done personal tests MPG file vs RA file, the results I got were: the MPG file was smaller AND better quality. The problem with using older versions of RA player is that most files created recently will not play there. So, unless you're into streaming... there's another program that can play RA files, yup there really is. UltraPlayer, http://www.ultraplayer.com/ It's much faster than RA native player, but it doesn't seem to stream RA content from the web. Hopefully they'll add this capability in the next version.