Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

IE Gurus, Getting rid of annoying dialogs

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-27-01, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have disabled ActiveX controls and do not intend to re-enable them. When I go to web sites with ActiveX controls, IE pops up an annoying dialog telling me the page may not display correctly. No, really ?!?

Is there a way to permanently disable these annoying dialogs?
Old 07-27-01, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that I know of, it may exist though..

Not sure why you'd not want activex controls, but your best bet would be using netscape instead (many webpages check your browser type and load seperate pages for ie or netscape)..
Old 07-27-01, 10:15 PM
X
Administrator

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I agree, it's a pain to keep getting the warning (for the rare times I use IE). Maybe I'll do some looking into this, but I doubt MS will have a solution to thwarting their pet technology.

ActiveX is a big security risk since it can do anything to your computer the programmer wants it to do. It has none of the built-in protections of Java. MS wants us to blindly trust the site that feeds us the ActiveX code and their "protection" is that we'll know who did it to us after the fact.