Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Best software DVD player?

Old 07-25-01, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best software DVD player?

I recently decided to take out my pass-through dxr3 card, and I am amazed at what I was missing. Everything is like 5x crisper! I don't want to go back, so I want a software DVD player... whats the best one out there? I've got a 500mhz 256mb system running win2k.
Old 07-25-01, 06:23 PM
X
Administrator

Probably WinDVD 3.
Old 07-25-01, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The experts at AVS Forum say the ATI player, but you need a Radeon video card to use it.

RD
Old 07-25-01, 09:11 PM

WinDVD

As far as I know the ATI software (at least it was) is the Ravisent Cinemaster DVD with an ATI logo on it.

WinDVD has the best image and sound quality (much better than Cinemaster).

PowerDVD is also good if you need many features (the image quality is not as good as WinDVD but it is faster than WinDVD if you have slow computer)
Old 07-25-01, 10:15 PM
X
Administrator

I've been reading about way too many problems with the ATI player at AVS. The picture may be the best (with a Radeon) -- when it works!
Old 07-26-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have had the best luck with PowerDVD, however since i got my radeon i use that player now. I don't know why so many people have trouble with it works great for me. But thats not really a software player.
Old 07-26-01, 02:19 AM

I have experimented with both, and i can say that i like winDVD better at this point...

Mainly because i was able to find a program that would allow me to "amplify" the sound output on WinDVD, and not PowerDVD, but you cant really go wrong with either, they're both great.
Old 04-04-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy thread resurrection!

Well, to put thing short, after I got my 2407 I started to see lots of digital noise in the movie I watch. Edge enhancement, pixellation and so on. I usually use MPC with ffdshow but I had to get back to my good old PowerDVD 5 because it's the only player I know so far that present one of the better video quality. I have WinDVD 8 and it's been crap both on audio compatibility and picture quality.

So guys, what's the best software DVD player at the moment?
Old 04-04-07, 05:08 PM
X
Administrator

Probably TheaterTek. That's what I mostly use.

I'm not thrilled about the controls and its response to them when using a mouse, but the picture is great!
Old 04-05-07, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks. From what I read ffdshow could present the best video quality possible, but I don't want to tinker around with all those settings, especially because it's mostly a trial and error stuff for the most part.

I'll give TheaterTek a shot - thanks!
Old 04-06-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I tried TheaterTek and unfortunately for some reason its only display video on my primary monitor. When I drag the video windows to the second monitor the video disappears. Bummer.

On the other hand I tried PowerDVD 7.3 and for the few minutes I've spent with it I found the picture quality to be good. I haven't find any issues with it yet, but I have only been playing around with it at five minutes or so.
Old 04-06-07, 05:03 PM
X
Administrator

You must have TheaterTek using only overlay. You can configure it to use VMR9 as well and that should look substantially better. I'm not sure if you can drag it to a different monitor but I think that only overlay may have that limitation.

I hated PowerDVD's new interface when in full-screen mode.
Old 04-06-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, PowerDVD's new interface is just ugly - Fisher-Price ugly. Seriously, how do these software companies come up with these ugly bloated skins?

I tried TheaterTek and video looked good but very similar to PowerDVD 5 which I think looks good but at least with TheaterTek, it displays captions with the black background for easier reading. I think the older WinDVD used to do this but that's no longer the case I think.

I think the overlay / VMR9 option is just for taking screenshots. What I think he wants is to play video in his other monitor. There is an option to choose which monitor to use in the advanced video options from the video tab config.
Old 04-06-07, 06:00 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ranger
What I think he wants is to play video in his other monitor. There is an option to choose which monitor to use in the advanced video options from the video tab config.
I understand that. Video only being visible on the primary monitor is a common overlay problem. It may not apply when video is being rendered via VMR9.
Old 04-06-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anybody know of one that will allow me to do quick audio captures from the movie?
Old 04-06-07, 07:02 PM
X
Administrator

Never saw one that allowed audio capture. You should take a look at something like Total Recorder that will intercept the decoded audio while it's still in digital form.
Old 04-07-07, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried TheaterTek again using VMR9, and it can display the video on monitor 2, however when I enter fullscreen mode I think it mistakenly thought that the resolution on monitor 2 (1920x1200) is the same as monitor 1 (1280x960) and therefore the video size is small compared to the monitor size itself.

I guess I have to stuck with PowerDVD 7 then, despite I don't like its interface either.
Old 04-07-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Never saw one that allowed audio capture. You should take a look at something like Total Recorder that will intercept the decoded audio while it's still in digital form.
Thanks.