Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows XP Home or Professional?

Old 07-25-01, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Windows XP Home or Professional?

I am getting a new Computer this week and plan to put Windows XP on it. I don't currently have XP on any machine.

I have looked at the differences between the Home and Professional Editions and it basically comes down to FAT32 or NTFS (File System).

Home Edition = FAT32
Professional Edition = NTFS

The Professional also has the ability to allow Remote Administration so there is a perk but I am still wondering about some other things.

I have heard that Windows XP (all flavors) have "Emulation" built in so if you install a program (application, game, whatever) that will not work the system can "emulate" another operating system to allow the program to work. I have seen this in action. A friend of mine tried installing "Roxio EasyCDCreator 5.0" and while it would install, it wouldn't run. We set the program to use Windows 95 "emulation" and everything worked just fine.

I'm not a big gamer but I do alot of Audio and Video editing. I use NTFS on Windows 2000 at work and don't have any problems with my Audio and Video editing software so I am not too concerned but I am just wondering if anyone else is currently using the Professional Edition of Windows XP and has found problems that the new "Emulation" can not handle.

I hope I am not "double" posting... the new Search facility in this new Forum software kinda sucks... I used wild cards but that has failed me in the past (here).

Any wisdom you would like to share?

Thanks!

-BadAsh
Old 07-25-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I hear are crickets....

chirp, chirp
c-h-i-r-p, c-h-i-r-p

Come on... aren't there any adventurous people out there?

I know several people in the Other Forum are using XP.... must not stop by here.
Old 07-25-01, 04:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Windows XP Home or Professional?

Originally posted by BadAsh
I am getting a new Computer this week and plan to put Windows XP on it. I don't currently have XP on any machine.

I have looked at the differences between the Home and Professional Editions and it basically comes down to FAT32 or NTFS (File System).

Home Edition = FAT32
Professional Edition = NTFS

The Professional also has the ability to allow Remote Administration so there is a perk but I am still wondering about some other things.

I have heard that Windows XP (all flavors) have "Emulation" built in so if you install a program (application, game, whatever) that will not work the system can "emulate" another operating system to allow the program to work. I have seen this in action. A friend of mine tried installing "Roxio EasyCDCreator 5.0" and while it would install, it wouldn't run. We set the program to use Windows 95 "emulation" and everything worked just fine.

I'm not a big gamer but I do alot of Audio and Video editing. I use NTFS on Windows 2000 at work and don't have any problems with my Audio and Video editing software so I am not too concerned but I am just wondering if anyone else is currently using the Professional Edition of Windows XP and has found problems that the new "Emulation" can not handle.

I hope I am not "double" posting... the new Search facility in this new Forum software kinda sucks... I used wild cards but that has failed me in the past (here).

Any wisdom you would like to share?

Thanks!

-BadAsh
I've got a system with Pro running on it at home. I haven't done a whole lot with it, but so far the only problem has been how darn ugly it is!
Old 07-25-01, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought XP didn't come out until October?
Old 07-25-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll be using whatever comes with the enterprise edition, because I won't deal with that ET phone hardware verification crap. I would think you would be fine with either one, that file system shouldn't make a whole lot of difference for A/V editing.

Dave

Last edited by Dave99; 07-25-01 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-25-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Professional edition only supports NTFS and _not_ FAT32?
Old 07-25-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually since you do AV editing, the NTFS file system handles files larger than 4gb. That's only 18 minutes of uncompressed digital video, so I would go with the Pro version just for that reason...
Old 07-25-01, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

xp pro supports both ntfs and fat32
Old 07-25-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a little confused myself on what the main differences will be from the Professional and the Home editions. I think Home edition will only support one processor while Professional will support two, but that's all I've heard so far. I haven't heard a lot of beta reports on the Home version.
Old 07-25-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mtucker
I'm a little confused myself on what the main differences will be from the Professional and the Home editions. I think Home edition will only support one processor while Professional will support two, but that's all I've heard so far. I haven't heard a lot of beta reports on the Home version.
home will not support ntfs.. but pro will support both ntfs and fat32

here is a comparison of home and pro..
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/guide/comparison.asp

alot of this info can be found at www.windowsxp.com
Old 07-26-01, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff

home will not support ntfs.. but pro will support both ntfs and fat32

here is a comparison of home and pro..
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/guide/comparison.asp

alot of this info can be found at www.windowsxp.com
You know, I think Microsoft's XP Comparison guide is rather ambiguous on this subject and I feel that while Microsoft isn't coming right out and saying it, both Home and Professional support FAT32 and NTFS.

I posted this exact thread at another Fourm (VCDHelp) and I got a pretty good response. One member there pointed out that while both Home and Professional can do NTFS Microsoft is somehow disabling the more advanced Security features that are inherent to NTFS in the Home Edition. Why? Because they want to sell the Professional Edition at a higher price.

The majority of all home PC users currently work with Windows 9x variants and today the most common are 98se and ME. These are all FAT32 systems. If I know Microsoft I think their strategy is to cater the Home Edition to these people. If you are upgrading a Windows 9x based FAT32 system WinXP Home will simply use the FAT32 File System. I have read on Anandtech that both Home and Pro have a FAT32 to NTFS conversion program so that is an option.

The Home Edition most likely uses FAT32 by default but does in fact support NTFS.

For those of you that may not know, Windows 2000 Pro, Server and Enterprise are only different by certain Registry Settings and additional Services and/or Applications. I feel this is the difference in XP as well. I have been doing a little research and have found that aside from allowing you to use all of the NTFS features in the Pro Edition, it also includes Terminal Services (Remote Computing) including the much better Citrix client (finally). I bet with some registry hacks and a simple installation of Terminal Services the Home Edition could be turned into the Professional version.

That is my theory and one that follows Microsoft's past.

I think I am just going to install the Professional Edition. I am kind of interested in the "Remote Computing" capabilities and Folder/File Security may come in handy.
Old 07-26-01, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BadAsh;

I have had XP installed for almost a month now and I love it. The interface (especially Explorer) takes a bit of getting used to but there is one major advantage....

IT"S SO FAST!!!!!!!! I have a PIII 450 with 360 MB of RAM and she flies. Way faster than Me and W2K.

But beware I think XP is still in beta so there are a few bugs, the only one I've found is that SoundBlaster Live Value doesnt work, and Creative support sucks, but I'm sure there will be a driver soon.
Old 07-26-01, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RaptorsFan
...there is one major advantage....

IT"S SO FAST!!!!!!!! I have a PIII 450 with 360 MB of RAM and she flies. Way faster than Me and W2K.
Yeah, many people that upgrade from any of the Win9x variants (including ME) notice dramatic speed increases but those same results would have been seen with an upgrade to Windows 2000. I have read some reports on Anandtech that the new interface actually slows the system down and so, XP doesn't quite match the speed of Win2k. I do belive, however, that Microsoft will optimize the system for final release and the difference will not be as noticeable.

Originally posted by RaptorsFan
But beware I think XP is still in beta so there are a few bugs, the only one I've found is that SoundBlaster Live Value doesnt work, and Creative support sucks, but I'm sure there will be a driver soon.
As for your problems with the SB Live card, I have heard mixed responses on that. Check out Anandtech. The results were split half and half. While many did have problems with the card, others did not. I am kind of curious about that myself. My new computer will have an SB Live card in it. Dell is marking the computer as "XP Ready" so I will ASSume they have tested it and the SB Live has no problem but with the mixed reports I have been getting I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh yeah... Creative support is suck!
Old 07-26-01, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know. Both fit in the fireplace right?
Old 07-26-01, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fisherman
I don't know. Both fit in the fireplace right?
trolln' trolln' trolln', keep those doggies trolln' raw hide
Old 08-04-01, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The main differences for me between Home and Professional were: remote desktop, multiprocessor, ability to join a domain, and multimonitor. Fortunately, Microsoft reversed its decision to not include multimon in Home several builds ago and Home users will have the ability to span across 2 or more monitors.

Home and Professional are equal in their application compatibility.

Being a tester with access to both SKUs from Microsoft, I can say that unless you need multiprocessor or need to join a domain (Home can still access domain resources, but not join), Home Edition should do fine.

For those that think it is ugly, have you all seen the Silver color scheme? It is much less ..loud.. than the default blue. (There is also an Olive color scheme, which interestingly enough, it seems more women like than men. At Microsoft, many of the developers wanted to remove Olive, but said their wives enjoyed it. I don't like it at all, but my girlfriend does. My friend (guy) doesn't like it either, but his sister does.)

(Also, Home Edition ships with green wallpaper, and Professional ships with blue wallpaper.. if color is your thing.)