Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

a basic question and a little troubleshooting

Old 07-25-01, 08:45 AM

a basic question and a little troubleshooting

I have a Sony oem x12 dvd-rom ddu1211 which I understand is actually a Lite-On model connected to a PC Chips everything onboard motherboard (SIS 620 12mb graphics chip) with a Pentium 3 Celeron 600 with 312 mb of memory. My disk is an IBM 45 gb 7200 rpm ata 100 model (although I note that the board only supports ata 66).

DVD movies play back a little stilted; the moving images do not play back completely smoothly. There are constant minute jumps in the action. Is this a result of using a software player (PowerDVD 3.0) instead of an mpeg decoder card? If so, which card is the best for solving this problem? If not, what other explanation is there?

I have used a DVD ripper to successfully copy DVD movies to my disk for playback. Using WinDVD 2.3, I am able to play back these movies using the subst dos command. The problem is that the sound is constantly being cutoff and interrupted. In other words, the sound plays normally for a moment or two, then is cut or an instant and then returns. This process occurs over and over continuously. This does not occur during dvd drive playback. Is this a function of the slower speed of the disk versus the dvd drive? If so, how could this be? I thought that any hard drive is much faster than the fastest optical drive. How to solve this problem? Again, is the answer an mpeg decoder card?

If anyone has answers to these questions, I would appreciate a response. Thank you.
Old 07-25-01, 11:24 AM
X
Administrator

You have a fast enough computer to play back DVD's smoothly with a software player. You do need to make sure DMA is enabled on your DVD drive. It being off could account for your problem.

As for the hard drive playback, I would suspect a less than perfect ripping. Your hard drive is fast enough, and if it weren't you would have jerky video problems. Have you tried playing back through PowerDVD? You don't need to use the subst command, just do a file playback. Make sure the ripped vob's are in a directory named "video_ts" off of the root.