Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need info/recommend on video card (and a sound card too)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-23-01, 11:45 AM

I just bought a new pc (1.2ghz amd, 384 mem) and need to get a video card for this thing. I used to have a 400, so it's been quite a while since I've been on the market (in computer terms that is) I'm going to be using the pc primarily for games, so I need a card that can handle graphics well. (esp w/ dx8 coming out)
[I'd like to get something good and lasting, but I'd also like to avoid breaking the bank]
Can anyone offer some advice on whats out there and worth looking into?

I'm also looking to get a sound card, again same situation on not knowing what's out there. I've seen systems that use surround speakers and would like to get something like that (however is it common for games to support the surround feature?) Any recommendations in this area would be helpful too! (I was going to go with soundblaster x-gamer, but I heard there were some compatibility issues and quality was questionable...?)

Thanks
Scarab007
Old 07-23-01, 11:07 PM

video card: GeForce 2 GTS 32mb/64mb. The price is droping due to the release of GeForce 3. I think the price for 64mb is about $150-$180. I personally like voodoo5 5500 a lot. Since nVidia bought it, they stop providing new drivers, but in exchange, the price is cheap. I bought one couple months ago for about $100 64mb. It runs really smooth when playing counter strike. Someone may not like it though (due to discontinue support.)

sound card: Basically I dont see big difference between OEM sound blaster live value 5.1 and x-gamer/ mp3+. For me, I think the main difference is only the package and the software that come with the package. live value 5.1 supports surand sound as well. It's really cheap that sells for around $50.

Basically you spend around $200 + shipping (or maybe free).

shadows01
Old 07-23-01, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sound card. go to Staples with the instore 20 off 100 coupon. get the sound blaster MP3 5.1 or xgamer(whichever you want they are the same except software. throw a candy bar to knock it over 100 dollar( might i suggest a Kit Kat ) use coupon walk out happy
get the retail card at a good price.

or Creative Lab sound blaster Live! 5.1 PCI Sound Card OEM Version, Card Only, No Live Drive Bay - Intensify your gaming with the power of clear digital and analog 5.1 audio Surround yourself with head-turning 3D positional audio with the dynamic accuracy and realism of EAX Experience real-time audio and effects acceleration with the powerful EMU10K1 Digital Signal Processor CREATIVE PART# 70SB006003003 Fedex Saver Shipping $4.00 - $52.00 plus shipping no software but you get the card at a great price.
at www.newegg.com

as far as video cards
Leadtek Winfast Geforce 2 Pro 32MB 5.5ns DDR RAM 4X AGP Video Card with TV Out-with 32MB 5.5ns DDR memory is running at standard 200/366 Mhz (Core/memory) speed. That translated to about 20% performance increase over the original GeForce2 GTS. 6-layer board. Retail Box. 3-Year MFR''''''''s Warranty. Free Fedex Saver Shipping for $132.00 from www.newegg.com

the 64 Mb card is a waste( I think). and the faster memory allows you to overclock the card to get better performance

total=188.00 shipped not counting if you pay tax( CA only i think)

Last edited by gcribbs; 07-23-01 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-25-01, 11:58 AM

Thanks for the help guys!

The sound blaster live 5.1 sounds like a good bet for $50. Just 2 questions: what does OEM stand for and the part about "card only, no live drive bay" - what exactly does that mean... is there a difference between this card and say the x-gamer.. besides some extra software (which is probably junk anyways) So far no one has had/heard of the compatibility problem w/ some pc's?

For the video card: I think the geforce2 pro seems like a solid choice until the 3's drop in price. Just 2 things to hit on there, what's the best brand to go with (ie leadtek?) and what difference is there w/ a 32 and 64? (i was orginally planning on going w/ a 64.. suggestions?)
Old 07-25-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scarab007
Thanks for the help guys!

The sound blaster live 5.1 sounds like a good bet for $50. Just 2 questions: what does OEM stand for and the part about "card only, no live drive bay" - what exactly does that mean... is there a difference between this card and say the x-gamer.. besides some extra software (which is probably junk anyways) So far no one has had/heard of the compatibility problem w/ some pc's?

For the video card: I think the geforce2 pro seems like a solid choice until the 3's drop in price. Just 2 things to hit on there, what's the best brand to go with (ie leadtek?) and what difference is there w/ a 32 and 64? (i was orginally planning on going w/ a 64.. suggestions?)
the oem card is the same card as the retail one. it just does not have the extra software-it should have the liveware drivers( if not they are downloadable anyway)

no live drive bay? it is a device that is put into a 5.25" drive bay that gives you controls and connections in the front of the case. it only comes with the platinum SB Live anyway.

the leadtek has a little faster memorythan GTS cards and it uses the geforce pro chipset however has 32 MB instead of 64 MB and uses 5.5 ns ram instead of 5 ns ram that some more expensive Pro's use. the GTS chipset cards use 6 ns ram and are a bit slower since they use the GTS chip.

bottomline:

this card is a great deal for a very good price. I am using a MSI geforce GTS 32 MB that uses 6 ns ram and uses the pro chipset and it is a very nice video card this one above is better.

compatibilty problems with the SB Live- it is used by almost everyone so although from time to time issues come up. I have never had a real problem with the SB Live cards I own. If i find one i am able to track down a solution.

I think you would be safe to get one. I have heard of problems with non SB Live cards also.

Last edited by gcribbs; 07-25-01 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-09-01, 04:58 AM

oem stands for that u ll get no software with the soundcard probably the drivers wont be inclubded either thats why they are a lot cheaper then the retail versions(tons of software ,good drivers,the packet is full of info cards...) but u have internet so thats no problemmo just go to creative labs website and download the drivers if their not included and the live drive
thats a piece a hardware u could buy extra it is inserted in a cd rom bay and u can close ure headphones on it u get more inputs thanx to it if u just buy the card for playing games our setting the first steps into the world making music its more a piece of anoying chit then it is helpfull

one more tip if u gonna buy this card i would recommend using the ddt 2200 speakers with it then u can truelly enjoy the dolby digital sound witch is used in theaters as well .If u dont need the best of the best , four our two normal speakers do well on this card to.
anyway this card will ensure lots off fun as far as i experienced it
Old 08-09-01, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by scarab007
...what does OEM stand...
It means Original Equipment Manufacturer.
When PC manufacturers buy their parts, they don't go buy the retail boxed versions. They buy them in bulk packaging without all the extra software, and at a much cheaper price. So if you don't mind not having the nice fancy box, extra junk software, and probably no tech support, get the OEM stuff since it's the exact same thing.