Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

new hotmail site crashing IE

Old 07-21-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
new hotmail site crashing IE

today on three separate occasions IE froze up at hotmail.
Old 07-21-01, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

a microsoft site crashing a microsoft product

oh the irony

Ive been using hotmail on and off today.. no problems so far.
Im running IE 6.0.2512
Old 07-21-01, 08:53 PM
X
Administrator

Use Netscape!

Hahaha, I always wanted to say that!
Old 07-21-01, 08:54 PM

IE crashing on the new hotmail site. Thats funny

Although I can honestly say I did have one freeze with Netscape 4.08 on it today.
Old 07-21-01, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I had to use netscape to use hotmail. I'd use entscape all the time but it gave me other problems, I think due to one of the windows updates

Originally posted by taliboubou
IE crashing on the new hotmail site. Thats funny

Although I can honestly say I did have one freeze with Netscape 4.08 on it today.
Old 07-21-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

i used netscape back in 1995.. they havent updated their technology since then
Old 07-22-01, 12:37 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by twikoff
i used netscape back in 1995.. they havent updated their technology since then
Neither has Stradivarius.
Old 07-22-01, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It always amuses me how Microsoft can never seem to make it's own products fully compatible with one another.

As far as Netscape is concerned, I used it for a LONG time because I hated IE (back when version 3.0 first came out) and one day I just decided to go back and try IE to see if it had improved any at all and as soon as I loaded it up, I was amazed at how much faster it was. I suppose that has to do with the fact that IE is totally integrated into the OS (which can be a good or a bad thing depending on the situation) and therefore all of it's cache/cookies/temp internet files are stored in the Windows directory for easier access, which allows the program to use fewer resources. Whereas Netscape is a totally seperate program (and quite the resource hog) which makes it a LOT slower.
Old 07-22-01, 10:06 PM

Just a thought before you do anything drastic like a Windows reload.

Does going to http://www.symantec.com or http://www.msn.com crash IE also?

I had a customer who asked me to figure out why his Hotmail was crashing and it turned out to be the Anti_CIH.exe virus. It is smart enought to not let you go to any Microsoft or Anti-Virus Page. Symantec has a fix under their Anti-Virus Research Center (SARC).

The chances are probably that you do not have it but it never hurts to cover all the bases.
Old 07-23-01, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by X
Neither has Stradivarius.
Are you trying to say Nutscape is perfect in every way and doesn't need improvement? If so, excuse me while I fall on the floor and laugh hysterically.
Old 07-23-01, 12:57 PM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by tha_dvd_man
Are you trying to say Nutscape is perfect in every way and doesn't need improvement? If so, excuse me while I fall on the floor and laugh hysterically.
No, I'm saying it has an elegance and feel that needs little improvement. And features I'm not willing to give up for IE. Some internal fixes would be nice to account for newer specs and carelessly implemented websites, but all-in-all it's a fine browser.

I find Netscape works very well on all but the most Microsoft-centric websites such as the recent redesign of Microsoft's own website. Gee, what a surprise! One of the major "advantages" of IE, the ability to run ActiveX, shouldn't be enabled anyway.
Old 07-23-01, 01:28 PM

as far as IE loading faster, i believe the newest build of mozilla has an option to pre-load some .dlls to speed load times, so there should be less of an lag when starting the app. i'd try it out, but until the cable modem gets hooked up at the new apartment, i don't feel like downloading anything more than my mail messages at home, and it's not worth it for me to "borrow" admin rights on my computer at work.