Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What should I look for in an ethernet card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What should I look for in an ethernet card?

Old 06-28-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need to replace my ethernet card. It is a Kingston KNE110TX. The driver disk also says it is a PCI fast ethernet adapter. I want to replace it with something that isn't too pricey. I just want to make sure I don't pick up the wrong thing. What do I need to get, and what do I not need?

Thanks
Old 06-28-01, 09:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of curiousity, what's wrong with what you have? Does it not suit your needs? What are you using the NIC for?
Old 06-28-01, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Jason Northrup
Out of curiousity, what's wrong with what you have? Does it not suit your needs? What are you using the NIC for?
It doesn't always make good contact witht the PCI slot. I've taken it out and reseated it many times and it just won't stay connected. I thought it might be the slot itself, but now I have it in a new computer and it is doing the same thing. I have to leave the cover off of the computer so I can adjust or wiggle the card and I am getting tired of that. I want to replace it so I can quit having to mess with it.
Old 06-28-01, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would just check out pricewatch, and get a cheap netgear or smc 10/100 card. Shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks or so.

Dave
Old 06-28-01, 12:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

You aren't looking for what I was durring my search, but there are some suggestions in this thread that may help you out:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=102834
Old 06-28-01, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a netgear card which many people over at anandtech recommended and it works great. I have even seen them have B&M deals lately that work out to under 10 bucks after rebate...

The FA311 is even only 16.99 at amazon...and I see it as low as 15 and change online...probably better to get it locally and have it now as well as avoid shipping.

Do you just need it for DSL or are you linking a bunch of computers?
Old 06-28-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
you can get a 10/100 netgear for $20 at a B&M
good card, I've had no problems with mine, (3 of them, and one of their hubs)
Old 06-28-01, 07:06 PM

I got a Linksys for $15.00 at Best Buy. Unfortunately, I can't get Windows to recognize the driver, off of the disk supplied with the card! I tried all of the suggestions from the manual. I am far from being an expert, but I also not computer illiterate. I just couldn't figure out how to get the driver to work and I didn't want to call tech support. I put my old card back in, had to wiggle it some of course. I just bought the same exact card I have off of Ebay for $8.00(Kingston KNE110TX). I am returning the Linksys card. If the directions for it are supposed to be user friendly then I guess I am just stupid. By the way, when it couldn't find the driver, the computer stared making a continuous pinging noise.
Old 06-28-01, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Alvis
Originally posted by Jason Northrup
It doesn't always make good contact witht the PCI slot. I've taken it out and reseated it many times and it just won't stay connected. I thought it might be the slot itself, but now I have it in a new computer and it is doing the same thing. I have to leave the cover off of the computer so I can adjust or wiggle the card and I am getting tired of that. I want to replace it so I can quit having to mess with it.
Mine doesn't fit right either. I just bent the metal part (non-technical term) and all is well.. Not worth the 20 bucks for a new one when the old one will do.. Just bend it till it fits fully in the bus slot. Even if you cant screw it in, its not going anywhere unless you move your case alot..