Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Are audio specific cd-r's better for music than regular cd-r's?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Are audio specific cd-r's better for music than regular cd-r's?

Old 06-21-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice that regular cd-r's tend to skip real easy. This could be the cd-r's that I am using, but I was wondering if the audio cd-r's are better at holding music and sound better. I currently use Maxwell cd-r's.
Old 06-22-01, 02:03 AM
X
Administrator

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
No
Old 06-22-01, 02:06 AM

if you're skipping, try recording at a lower speed
Old 06-22-01, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Depends on who you ask. I don't hear a difference, but I have been told by others that the sound quality is better using a music cd-r than a data cd-r. What I do know is that the music cd-r's are more expensive because money has been paid to the record companies because they know that copyrighted music will be burned. Secondly, whichever you decide to use, a 74 minutes cd-r is better than an 80 minute cd-r only because many times mistakes are more frequent when trying to get that extra 6 minutes on you cd-r.
Old 06-22-01, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always thought that this was a scam. The data on a cd is digital regardless if it is audio or data grade. I would think the biggest factor is recording speed and writer quality. I have listened to both and I cannot tell the difference.
Old 06-22-01, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use a Teac USB CD-RW burner. Maybe I'm not using quality cd-r's.
Old 06-22-01, 09:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

If the source is another audio CD that you are copying (partially or in whole) what are experiencing probably has a lot more to do with poor digital audio extraction (DAE). Since you are using a USB burner you may also be running into issues because of that (not experienced with USB burners, but heard they aren't that great).

Also, audio CD-Rs are for the stand alone units. The stand alone units suck because they don't actually make a pure digital copy. Instead they do a DAC conversion and then a ADC conversion before putting it on the CD.
Old 06-22-01, 04:00 PM

The only real difference between an Audio CD-R and a regular CD-R is a special security feature that allows them to be used on a stand alone recorder. A stand alone recorder will not use regular CD-R's. There are some work-arounds though for certain players. The security feature is added to make the music industry happy by giving them a royalty for each Audio CD-R. BTW, you can use Audio CD-R's in a standard cd recorder.

[Edited by BubbaX on 06-22-01 at 01:03 PM]
Old 06-23-01, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by gusamo
I notice that regular cd-r's tend to skip real easy. This could be the cd-r's that I am using, but I was wondering if the audio cd-r's are better at holding music and sound better. I currently use Maxwell cd-r's.
Maxell tapes have long been the "standard" in the taping community, but Maxell has not been able to reproduce the same quality in their CDR's. I have noticed that the sound is noticeably worse on a Maxell CD'r compared to other brands. I would try out Sony, Kodak, or TDK.
Old 06-23-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
verbatims with the dark blue bottoms rock too.
Old 06-24-01, 12:28 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I prefer 74 min CD's to 80 min CD's. I've burned over 200 CD's on each, and I've had no problems in any of the 74 min CD's but had few problems with the 80 min CD's.

But as for Audio v. Regular, there's no difference.