Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

best video compression codec?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

best video compression codec?

Old 06-20-01, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best video codec to use? I might save some captured video from TV shows. I used ASF before but that was over a year ago and I'm assuming there may be better codecs now.
Old 06-20-01, 09:21 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depends on what your using it for, how good you want it to look, and how smooth you want motion to be.

high-res, low-size = use DivX
high-res, smooth-action = MPEG2 (note: files will be big)
low-size, smooth-action = MPEG1 (possibly Indeo or Quicktime)
low-size, low-action = Real media

I save South Park episodes to Real Media which works great for videos of that type (about 36MB/episode). Everything else I save as MPEG1 VCD files. If I had a clear source and had a better capture card I'd use MPEG2 SVCD files. I like quallity and smoothness whenever I can. I will probably never store my stuff as DivX due to the way it encodes videos containing action (dropped frames suck). True, it does produce high resolution small files, but I'd rather go MPEG1 (smaller res) and keep all my frames.